Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 04:48 PM

Default Golden opportunity to check-raise?

I've been trying to incorporate this into my game more and more. Sometimes it can be very useful, and maybe some people are paying attention and I get a little respect for my checks. I hardly ever check-raise, so I'm not yet a master at it. Here's an example of a time it seemed appropriate. MP2 is a huge fish (47/2)

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed) converter

MP1 ($76.70)
MP2 ($53.25)
MP3 ($44.75)
CO ($96.85)
Button ($22.75)
SB ($48.25)
Hero ($40.50)
UTG ($63.55)
UTG+1 ($148.90)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.50, UTG+1 calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: ($2.75) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets $2.5</font>, MP2 calls $2.50, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls $5.50.

Turn: ($21.25) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: $31.25
Old 09-04-2005, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Golden opportunity to check-raise?

looks good, bet more on turn tho
Old 09-04-2005, 04:56 PM

If you know someone will bet go for it but that board is a bit dangerous for a check-raise if no one bets. Theres a bunch of straight draws and a flush draw there.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:10 PM

why do you feel the checkraise is such a key move for NLHE? its not
Old 09-04-2005, 05:16 PM

You don't want them to think that everytime you check you will never raise.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:29 PM

Is there a reason for not raising pre-flop, being that you were OOP and should be trying to weed out the B.S hands? I think the c/r is a bit risky because it's an unraised pot w/ 4 opponents (you could easily be against 2-pair or a set). At this level, players will limp w/ just about anything (making it difficult to put your opponent on a hand or group of hands).

If you raise pre-flop, I like your c/r alot more against an aggressive opponent.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:46 PM

Looks good
Old 09-04-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a reason for not raising pre-flop, being that you were OOP and should be trying to weed out the B.S hands? I think the c/r is a bit risky because it's an unraised pot w/ 4 opponents (you could easily be against 2-pair or a set). At this level, players will limp w/ just about anything (making it difficult to put your opponent on a hand or group of hands).

If you raise pre-flop, I like your c/r alot more against an aggressive opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]
Raise AJ oop? That's a no no.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Raise AJ oop? That's a no no.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree w/ your guideline; it's simply too generic. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] These games have community pots where players are limping in w/ all kinds of junk. If anything, being OOP is the very reason to raise p/f. You'd like to try to end the hand quickly. There's no rule that says you have to keep playing if someone is sandbagging (usually not the case) &amp; comes over the top.

Based on the information provided in the hand, I see no reason to think anyone is holding anything better than AJ.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Based on the information provided in the hand, I see no reason to think anyone is holding anything better than AJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG and UTG+1 have deep stacks and limped in early position. That's a common play for AK and AQ.