Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 12:48 AM

Default Help Me with River Decision

I am fairly new to PLO, I would be interested in this river decision?

No reads on Villan in this hand as it was soon after I sat down.

I have $2,900 and villan has slightly less to start. 10 handed table with blinds at $10 and $20.

Dealt to Hero [A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
4 folds to me. I raise to $40. The SB and BB call.

Flop is [ Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
SB checks. BB checks. I pot for $117
SB calls, BB calls.

Turn is [ 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
SB checks. BB checks. I pot for $468
SB folds, BB calls

River is [ T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ]
BB checks.

Pot is $1,400. Villan has about $2,200 left.

What would your river decision be and why?

Thanks.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:23 AM

Default Re: Help Me with River Decision

I am assuming this is a SnG or tourney of some sort, not a cash game. In that case, I think check-fold is certainly reasonable as this would be a bad place to get knocked out by somebody calling down with the king high flush. Otherwise, just pot it and hope for a fold.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am assuming this is a SnG or tourney of some sort, not a cash game. In that case, I think check-fold is certainly reasonable as this would be a bad place to get knocked out by somebody calling down with the king high flush. Otherwise, just pot it and hope for a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wha? That's the easiest shove you will ever make in a cash game. You will not get called.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:52 AM

This is a cash game.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wha? That's the easiest shove you will ever make in a cash game. You will not get called.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are making a very broad and bad assumption that does not take into account the tendencies of various players. Against tighter players you should pot it primarily to avoid a split on the broadway straight. But even at these limits I have watched plenty of bad players dog bottom set and a non-nut flush draw to the end, and then check/call when the flush hits, which is the appropriate action for them even though they either shouldn't have been in the pot in the first place or should have made a move earlier. If you don't carefully choose your spots to make plays with the naked ace you are just wasting money.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:07 PM

I'd raise more preflop and check the river. You're not getting called by a hand that doesn't chop or beat you. 2 pair won't call a big bet, he either made a flush, has the same str8 as you, etc. I don't see the bet having value cause you mighta heard from a set already anyway. Just some thoughts, I could be wrong.

Jeff
Old 09-02-2005, 02:26 PM

Your opps most likely holding are AQ, 55, str8 draw or flush draw.

If you bet, he will probably fold two pair or a set. If you make a small bet he may call with the str8, and probably fold if you make a large bet.

Since you bet the turn, he is probably calling with any flush. The advantage of having the Ace is you will probably not be raised if you are looking at a flush.

Argument for checking: You will most likely only be called if you are tied or beaten.
Argument for a smallish bet: You may be called by two pair or a set.
Argument for medium to large bet: May get a straight or small flush to fold. It may also be good for your image and get you more calls in the future.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:37 PM

I'd be tempted to bet the river if you had a read of the Villain as a tight nut-peddler. You have the 'nut bluff' card with the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Would villain call all those pot bets with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]x[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]? Unless he had 55 or QQ with it I doubt it.
If only the OP knew where K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] was.. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2005, 02:45 PM

Default RESULTS

It turns out my opponent was a complete donk. I bet $700 on the end, but I wasn't sure if I was value betting or bluffing, which is a weird situation I am not use to coming from Hold'Em, and why I posted this hand. He called with 8d9dxx. I am sure he would have called a pot size bet too since he called a pot size bet on the turn with only a 9 high flush draw.

Thanks for the responses. I really think the river bet is player dependent more than anything.