Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 08-26-2005, 10:06 PM

Default PP $20 + 2 SnG Bubble Question

Blinds 150/300

BB Hero 900
SB Villain 2000
Button 550
UTG 4550

-----------

UTG folds
Button folds
Villain completes

Villain isn't particularly loose or aggressive. He seems pretty tight and looks like he's playing ABC poker.

Hero's action?????

--------------------

Second question:

SB completes, Hero checks. Except now we know Hero's has Ac7d.

Flop: 7h 4c 3c

SB checks. Hero's actions? I assume it's auto-push on the flop, but given the short stack at the table, I wouldn't mind a confirmation that I don't have a leak if I'm auto-pushing here.

Obviously, though, I'm more concerned with what my pre-flop action ought to be. I assume, with the SB open completing, he's either trapping with a monster or he's got rags, because he knows I'm folding almost everything here, even if he only min raises. Given that he's tight and predictable, I think that might give pushing even more of an edge. So when he open completes, it seems +EV to push any two, given the blinds on the table is 2/3 of my stack and he's folding enough to make it +EV.

However, I've made this play a numerous times at the 22s (pushing any two in a situation similar to this, against what I thought were relatively tight players) only to get called by Q9, 54s, etc. So unless he has A6-A2, I'm really hating getting called here. And while unlikely, it's not outside the realm of possibility that he calls with something mediocre.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-26-2005, 10:31 PM

Default Re: PP $20 + 2 SnG Bubble Question

1.) Just see the flop and hit something nice is my preference. No need to put my tourney on the line here, those darn calling stations find it hard to fold.

2.) Personally I think Hero is strong enough to bet here, he will walk into aces or kings annoyingly often, but the short stack only has to win one pot and he's way ahead of Hero.
If the short stack is something much smaller, like 50 chips and he'll have to win two pots, I would consider checking, but I think we have to go for it here.

Lori
Old 08-26-2005, 10:37 PM

I assume that you have A7c in the first part as well. Personally, barring a strong read, I would push in both cases. Your stack is not big enough that you can allow button to double up with a random hand and still be in a decent position, so I push here. I think the flop is an autopush.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1.) Just see the flop and hit something nice is my preference. No need to put my tourney on the line here, those darn calling stations find it hard to fold.

2.) Personally I think Hero is strong enough to bet here, he will walk into aces or kings annoyingly often, but the short stack only has to win one pot and he's way ahead of Hero.
If the short stack is something much smaller, like 50 chips and he'll have to win two pots, I would consider checking, but I think we have to go for it here.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said, I agree 100%. After the flop this is a good opportunity to create a little more space between you and shorty. Push the flop and dont worry about running into a monster. Your hand is good most of the time here.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:45 PM

I guess Hero should check preflop. Your opponent is getting 2:1 on your push, and you can do a lot of stuff postflop.

On the flop, you've got TPTK. That becomes very, very good. Gotta shove here.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I guess Hero should check preflop. Your opponent is getting 2:1 on your push, and you can do a lot of stuff postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even though he's getting 2:1, I think we have the best hand here. He'd certainly shove a pocket pair, and most aces too. My guess is that villain completed with 2 broadways, and wants to see a flop before committing more chips. And, we don't have many options postflop with these stacks. What do you do when the flop comes 348 and he bets out/pushes with KT? I would push and take any postflop FE away from him.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:57 PM

b/c of the short stack, I check PF, after the flop, its time to gambol so push it real good.