Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Mason: 2+2 Book Binding changes in 2005?

Interesting...I didn't know about the 'return' bit but I guess it's not surprising.

FWIW - the book I was comparing it to (Weighing the Odds) is going to be handled by me as much as any of my 2+2 books (although this doesn't address the issue of them being handled in the store and then returned to the publisher)
Old 08-13-2005, 03:47 PM

How about going to hardcovers?

I read the crap out of these books and they wind-up looking pretty beat after a while. I would pay a premium for a hardcover, no problem.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Bob:

Part of the problem is the way our books get handled to a much higher degree than books in general. Therefore we have taken steps, and it is much more expensive, to solve this problem.

The book business is much tougher than many of you think. For instance, when books become "shop worn" at a book store like Borders or Barnes & Noble, they get sent back to us as returns. One of the ways this happens is that when a potential customer takes a book off the shelf, opens it, and then puts it back on the shelf, if the cover does not snap back in place, the book can become damaged by having the cover bent back. Once this happens it becomes a return and we not only lose the book, but we get charged shipping to return it to us. Thus we strive for books that snap back quickly to their original position. That's what you are calling tight.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

And I would imagine this problem has been greatly exacerbated since the advent of megasized bookstores with comfy chairs where patrons can sit all day and read [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Frank
Old 08-24-2005, 04:37 PM

besides the suggestion to have kinko's bind 2+2 volumes, i have gone the route of purchasing laminate plastic sheets from the local office supply/arts and crafts store. with glue on one side just peel away the backing, apply to the covers, and do a little trimming around the edges.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How about going to hardcovers?

I read the crap out of these books and they wind-up looking pretty beat after a while. I would pay a premium for a hardcover, no problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

This idea is gold, and probably agreed with by at least 2/5 this community.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:25 AM

/signed

Hardcover would be great!
Old 08-27-2005, 10:41 AM

I sure hope there are changes. I would always go back and forth to the starting hand section in SSHE and after 2 months of just turning to that page it ripped. It's not like I even abused the book and I had to tape the page back in. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2005, 11:08 AM

all i know about the binding on your books is this:

i have a copy of HE for adv players that i purchased over a year ago. the binding on it is amazing. i can open it and the spine doesnt crease. both harrington books i preordered so i have the first prints. if i open them too far the spine creases bad, and i run the risk of pages falling out or anything else ruining the book. it kind of makes then harder to read
Old 08-27-2005, 03:09 PM

Hi Everyone:

I and Christy Creel (of Creel Printing, our main contractor for our book printing) just returned from a full day trip to Book Binders, in Commerce, California which is the binder that is now doing all of our books. We just started with them a few months ago and they are currently doing their second job for us. They have full PUR capability and impressed us with their professionalism and dedication. So we are hopeful for top notch bindings in the future.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 08-27-2005, 04:47 PM

Convenient place for a business trip, huh? It's good to be Mason. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Jeff