Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 01:04 PM

Default Who will be the next Phish?

I am not a real big jam band fan, but I really enjoyed listening and going to Phish shows and was wondering who will take over as the next Phish?

I think Widespread Panic are too southern and too old.

I got to see Tea Leaf Green at Bonnaroo and really enjoyed them. I think they definitely have potential if they start touring like mad.

I just don't see moe. progressing beyond where they are now.

Toughts?
Old 08-09-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Who will be the next Phish?

[ QUOTE ]
I just don't see moe. progressing beyond where they are now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really think Moe. has the only chance of "being the next Phish" (if there is one). I have heard people mention String Cheese Incident, and I like them, but I think they are way too "bluegrassy" for any sort of mass appeal. Other than that, I don't see it happening, with any bands I am currently aware of, anyway.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:45 PM

there won't be another phish, just like there hasn't been another dead. there are good bands out there like MMW, Moe, Widespread, string cheese. ONe jam band that I think will start to make waves is a band called umphrey's mcgee, remember the name cause their good. It will take years though for another big tourning band to come around like phish and the dead did cause that type of scene is one that takes time to develop
Old 08-09-2005, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there won't be another phish, just like there hasn't been another dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

though i completely understand the arguments against it, one could CERTAINLY argue that phish was "the next grateful dead"
Old 08-09-2005, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
there won't be another phish, just like there hasn't been another dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

though i completely understand the arguments against it, one could CERTAINLY argue that phish was "the next grateful dead"

[/ QUOTE ]

in ways yes, in ways no. In the sense of being a full time touring band that had a huge devoted following, yes definetly, but they are two completely different bands when it comes to musical style. Personally, I just hate saying that someone or something is the "next" whatever cause that is generally unfair to whoever/whatever is being pegged as that
Old 08-09-2005, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there won't be another phish, just like there hasn't been another dead. there are good bands out there like MMW, Moe, Widespread, string cheese. ONe jam band that I think will start to make waves is a band called umphrey's mcgee, remember the name cause their good. It will take years though for another big tourning band to come around like phish and the dead did cause that type of scene is one that takes time to develop

[/ QUOTE ]

umphey's is good, but most jamband suck and make me want to pull a van gogh.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:06 PM

agreed, but i think (assume) the OP's question was geared more toward the "full time touring band that had a huge devoted following [of hippies]" and i would also probably add the spontaneous setlists and open encouragement of a devoted taping/trading community.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
agreed, but i think (assume) the OP's question was geared more toward the "full time touring band that had a huge devoted following [of hippies]" and i would also probably add the spontaneous setlists and open encouragement of a devoted taping/trading community.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I was thinking along the lines of:
Dead --> Phish --> ????

Not that the Dead or Phish had similar styles or the next band needs too either, but they definitely created similar environments.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I was thinking along the lines of:
Dead --> Phish --> ????

Not that the Dead or Phish had similar styles or the next band needs too either, but they definitely created similar environments.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, the band might just be out there. Phish started coming to prominance while the dead were playing. Moe has their own festival in upstate NY in early sept./late august every year. Only time will really tell, it'll happen again, and I just hope that I go to the early shows of whatever group if is since I never had the chance to go to a dead show, and crammed a lot of phish in since I started going to shows in 97, but didn't really start going to lots of shows until 99/00
Old 08-09-2005, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Moe has their own festival in upstate NY in early sept./late august every year.

[/ QUOTE ]

the Moe. Down!

They also have a Moe. cruise every year.