Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Softer games?
it's soooted 23 50.00%
$30+3 7 15.22%
$20+2 16 34.78%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2005, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Poll -- What is Hero\'s error in this $33 hand

[ QUOTE ]

If only you all knew how much I hate limping in here with JJ. I think its just terrible, but everyone seems to like it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Curtains if you PFR with it do you call his impending re-raise (i.e. if KK pushes, or bumps it to t350)?
Old 08-03-2005, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Position is king. Fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I often feel like a tight player on this forum. Here's how I play the hand:

Raise pre-flop. If re-raised, I think that he can decide what to do at that point. I would never limp in this spot (level 2) especially since I have only 690 chips.

Once again, I'm amazed at how undervalued jacks are on this forum.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If only you all knew how much I hate limping in here with JJ. I think its just terrible, but everyone seems to like it!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you curtains (and not just because you're so respected...), I hate it. Not only do I raise preflop, but I push to a re-raise which everybody must really, really hate.

I play at Stars though, and people playing the $33's will re-raise in this spot with hands like AQ, AJ, low PP, etc. enough to make pushing J's into the re-raise +EV in my opinion.

It sounds like at the Party $33's people are MUCH tighter.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It makes me want to vomit actually. I dont get it at all.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:16 PM

Well also we are pretty shortstacked! I just don't understand how playing this way with JJ is so common, it just seems so terrible to me. Sometimes it at least has some merit, but in this situation I think it's just mindless.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you curtains (and not just because you're so respected...), I hate it. Not only do I raise preflop, but I push to a re-raise which everybody must really, really hate.

I play at Stars though, and people playing the $33's will re-raise in this spot with hands like AQ, AJ, low PP, etc. enough to make pushing J's into the re-raise +EV in my opinion.

It sounds like at the Party $33's people are MUCH tighter.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, its not that PP is tighter, its that starting stacks are less so you are committing larger %s of stack any time you enter a hand. That aside,
Old 08-03-2005, 01:17 PM

Depends but usually yes. Theze bozos raise with too much crap.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you can't get rid of jacks in this spot you might want to learn why you should. I've laid down Kings when and Aces flops (NO BIG DEAL, I knew I was beat). You need to make good laydowns to beat SNGs and Poker. Simple as that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huge difference between laying down kings when an ace flops and this scenario. Hero doesn't have enough of a stack to lay down an overpair to this flop.

I'll venture to guess for every "good laydown" you make in spots like this, you're giving up several pots and leaving a lot of money on the table. So when he called pre-flop, what kind of flop should he have been hoping for exactly? Trip jacks?

Sometimes you're just destined to go broke. This hand is one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely No difference. At best with your jacks your looking at AK, AQ and Donkey KQ. Which are all coin-flips. Not including the QQ-AA which has you already dominated. Why take a risk at such an early stage in the tournament, is my point. No need, what happens if your right, what happens if your wrong.

Right,-You possible could win a good size pot and double up.

--Doesn't mean your guaranteed ITM, doesn't mean anything, except more chips for bubble.

Wrong,-Your Out.

--You lose the tournament. You differently could of got better cards in bubble time, we never know.

BUT I THINK Limping is find UTG. But calling the raise is bad.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:19 PM

Will somebody please explain something to me:

How is it that the justification for taking early coinflips with AK (and continuation betting on whiffed flops) is that opponents play all kinds of crap, but the consensus on this forum seems to be that jacks are a marginal hand?

Not raising with jacks in this spot, especially with his stack, is godawful. He ran into a monster, big deal, stuff happens. What about all the times that he raises, gets called by crap, and wins nice pots?

I'm raising in this spot with jacks EVERY time.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:20 PM

ive only really played the 109s for any significant number to have an opinion there at that level, but i really dont understand the limp with jj it is so awful, i raise pre and then fold to the reraise, a limp then a raise then a re raise has much more strength then a guy just raising a bunch of limpers, to say things like you must go broke on this hand is not true at all.