Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 08:51 PM

Default Limping in EP first in w/ AKo and AQo (et all)

Before I start, let me get out a couple of disclaimers.

1. I'm sure this has been done before, and I searched, but couldn't find a good thread on it. If anybody has a link, i'd be forever in your debt.

2. I'm sure i'm going to get flamed and lose all credibility (if I had any to begin with) for even bringing this up. If so, so be it.

3. This is a serious issue to me and my poker, and one I've thought about a lot. It all started when I read a Rolf Slotboom article years ago that advocated limping (occasionaly) first in in EP w/ the big broadway cards. My understanding is that Rolf does'nt carry a lot of weight here, and thats fine, but to me the article had some merit.

Now, on to the question.

Assume your standard online midlimit game. VPIP of 26ish, PFR of about 8%, aggression factor of 1.5. Full games.

I'll often limp first in in EP w/ Ak, AQ, AJ, and KQ (suited or not, but this is about non-suited) for a variety of reasons. During my time here i've seen that sort of move get trashed, but haven't really seen any strong arguments either way. Here's my take.

Reasons NOT to limp

1. Raising thins the field and gives you a better chance of winning unimproved

2. Raising gives you momentum, which may give you a better chance to win unimproved

3. Raising gives you value. You likely have the best hand at this point

Reasons TO limp

1. Raising encourages hands you have dominated to fold prefop, limping encourages those same hands to raise.

2. Raising gives away information about your hand. If your opponents know that you have standards, a PFR instantly puts 2 broadway cards in their mind. If you sometimes limp w/ these and sometimes don't, your hand remains hidden

3. You stand to get more action after flopping to your hand, and having your hand still be good, if you didn't raise PF.

There are probably other reasons for both that i'm missing, but I think this is a good start.

Please, fire away.

lf
Old 07-14-2005, 02:23 AM

Default Re: Limping in EP first in w/ AKo and AQo (et all)

nobody has anything to say about this?

how about a link, or maybe some search help?

lf
Old 07-14-2005, 02:25 AM

It works well in games that are tightish but very aggressive. Meaning 2-3 to the flop for 2-3 bets. This gets you "isolated" by worse hands - hands that would've folded had you raised. It has to be balanced, of course, but it's a very valid strategy.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It works well in games that are tightish but very aggressive. Meaning 2-3 to the flop for 2-3 bets. This gets you "isolated" by worse hands - hands that would've folded had you raised. It has to be balanced, of course, but it's a very valid strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the sort of game i'm talking about. Cleary if you know you'll get called by KJ and AT anyway, you may as well raise. What sort of frequence do you think is best with say AKo. Limping 20% of the time? 50%? I really have no idea.

lf
Old 07-14-2005, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the sort of game i'm talking about. Cleary if you know you'll get called by KJ and AT anyway, you may as well raise. What sort of frequence do you think is best with say AKo. Limping 20% of the time? 50%? I really have no idea.

lf

[/ QUOTE ]

I like to do this in SH games for the same reasons Clarkmeister outlined.. I'd say rather than a percentage, just do it in good spots. First off I'd rarely make this play with AJ.. and less with AQ than AK. That's because these hands are Seriously downgraded with multiple opponents, whereas AK is less so. Especially if they're offsuit.
Asside from that, if I've been raising a lot lately with lesser hands (steal or isolation attempts usually), then I'll go ahead and raise. Otherwise, I may limp, as long as it doesn't look like the field will be too large.
Of course, if it's a tight game but there's one loose player who will pay off, always raise.

One more point - although it's certainly a valid play, I don't believe it should be the standard. No more than 30-40% IMO. That's plenty to disguise your hands - beyond that you're just giving up value.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:21 AM

Hi lil feller,

Your list is a good start, and I think the benefits of your reasons to raise outweigh the benefits of limping, therefore I would raise more often, and occasionally limp/limp-reraise for deception.

Out of position, and without carrying the initiative to the flop that a preflop raise would grant you, you're putting a lot of pressure on yourself to hit your hand, as well as hoping your opponents were dealt and decided to get aggressive with dominated hands in the first place.

You don't explicitly mention it, but I believe your whole goal is to exploit the aggressiveness of your opponents and their tendency to want to isolate limpers deemed as weak. That's fine, but I'd still prefer to do that with true monsters.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:04 AM

IMO you're making a pretty big mistake if you don't do this fairly often in tight aggressive games. I want to be able to limp JTs UTG and observant opponents aren't gonna let me unless sometimes when they raise my UTG limp with AT they're sorry.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:55 AM

Default A game theory approach?

I'm not a game theory expert, in fact i'm hardly equipped to include it in my post. However, lets say you find yourself in a game where taking this approach seems like a good idea, some of the time. You decide that 50% of the time you see AKo or AQo UTG or UTG+1 you're going to limp. Would it be insane to say "ok, if my Ace is black, i'm limping, if its red, i'm raising?"
Old 07-14-2005, 08:41 AM

Default Re: A game theory approach?

I'd rather limp when I'm dealt paint first and raise when I receive the ace first.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Re: A game theory approach?

Lil'

I'm no game theory expert either, but I figure I'd give a try at reasoning through one application of this idea.

Let's say an opponent has AJo in middle position. Let's say you raise with some reasonably standard range UTG and UTG+1: AA-88, AK-AJo, ATs, KQ-KJs, KQo or something like that... it's not all that important. Notice that there are certain hands that AJ is well behind, certain that it's racing and/or close to, and certain that its ahead of.

Let's say that your limping range is a little bit broader: You bring in some extra hands that villain is ahead of or racing: 77-55, QJs, J10s or something like that.

Now, it is possible that a smart opponent will overtime deduce that AJ is on average ahead against the range of hands you limp with but behind the range of average hands you'll raise with. It will therefore be correct whenever he is first to act behind you to fold when you raise and to raise when you limp.

Now, obviously poker is a multi-handed game and this is a very specific situation, but you see the idea.

What game theory will tell us is that if you "drop" enough of the big broadway cards down into the limping range from the strict raising range, you can make it such that villain will have a much harder time making such easy decisions. If you structured your ranges correctly, it would be possible to find a frequency with which to raise/limp AK and AQ such that an opponent with AJ would always be dead even to be ahead/behind you. (This is not possible with any range of raising hands; the problem does not always have a solution in the given space defined by the range of hands)

My intuition is that when this is aggregated across all opponents and all hands they may hold, occassionally dropping AK and AQ down into the "limping" range will be a game theoretical improvement over simply always raising them, against intelligent and watchful opponenents.

If you were to take a game theory approach, you are absolutely correct (IMO) that doing it randomly will be the best way. You would need to use some combo of things to get exact frequencies, though. Given the 16 possible combos of AK you could certainly randomize to units of about 6% though.