Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 06-02-2005, 03:28 AM

Default Re: is this stealing

[ QUOTE ]
All mechanics are not thieves, you know.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't really say that - what I said was that many (ie. almost all) will charge people for the "labor" that they didn't even put in...

Example, a good friend of mine is a mechanic for a Ford dealership around here. He has told me many times where he will be assigned a simple task like putting running boards on a new F-150 or something, and he'll basically be told to put it down as at least 1 or 2 more hours than he actually spent on it.

So yeah, not all mechanics are theives, and it depends on your definition of stealing, but since I like to get my hands a little dirty working on the car anyways, it makes sense for me to do my own work instead of getting my wallet plundered over time.

Edit add: judging by some other posters' comments in other threads, i must agree...you ARE less annoying as Dead.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:39 AM

If I was to drive to your house, found a shortcut that you never knew about, and arrived 5 min earlier than you expected me, is that stealing?

If a couple were sharing a drink, and one of them had a slightly wider straw than the other, but neither of them noticed, is that stealing? What if the one with the wider straw knew it was slightly wider somehow, didn't tell the other, and together they shared a drink. Is that stealing?

If I picked up a rock from the beach, is that stealing? What about if I picked up a penny in front of a bank? At a park? Stealing?
Old 06-02-2005, 04:10 AM

God, I hope not because you have described what I have been doing for the last 6 years of employment.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Example, a good friend of mine is a mechanic for a Ford dealership around here. He has told me many times where he will be assigned a simple task like putting running boards on a new F-150 or something, and he'll basically be told to put it down as at least 1 or 2 more hours than he actually spent on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a poor example for you to use. Dealerships charge their labor based on flat-rate manuals. A certain job pays 2 hours, if the tech gets it done in less, good for him. Some jobs will pay 6 hours and it will take the tech 8 hours to complete it--sucks for him. Customers who whine about it when a tech is able to beat the flat-rate time are ignorant hypocrites. How much cash has the tech invested in the tools of the trade? I have $10,000 worth of tools in my garage, and my box was woefully deficient. Will that same idiot customer who complains about the job being done in less time be willling to fork out extra cash when the job takes longer to complete? Never. I'm starting to get pissed off, so I'll stop here.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:17 AM

In my opinion:

None of those are stealing, but that's just an issue of semantics.

All 3 are dishonest and immoral, and that is all that really matters.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:22 AM

I am dishonest and immoral [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

But I like sashimi!
Old 06-02-2005, 04:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is #2 dishonest and immoral?
Old 06-02-2005, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is #2 dishonest and immoral?

[/ QUOTE ]

The way the question is phrased, I am being paid for 8 hours of work, not an estimation of how much work someone normally does in 8 hours. Basically, it's the same as being paid by the hour based on my understanding of the situation.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

steal Audio pronunciation of "stealing" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (stl)
v. stole, (stl) sto·len, (stln) steal·ing, steals
v. tr.

<font color="red"> 1. To take (the property of another) without right or permission.</font>
2. To get or effect surreptitiously or artfully: steal a kiss; stole the ball from an opponent.
3. To move, carry, or place surreptitiously.
4. To draw attention unexpectedly in (an entertainment), especially by being the outstanding performer: The magician's assistant stole the show with her comic antics.
5. Baseball. To advance safely to (another base) during the delivery of a pitch, without the aid of a base hit, walk, passed ball, or wild pitch.

[/ QUOTE ]

No...none of your scenarios are stealing.

ZJ points out the crucial distinction that you're most likely trying to get at is an ethical/moral issue ...rather than whether or not actual stealing would be taking place.

Ethically and/or morally the context in which any of the three took place would be *crucial* IMO.

Yugoslav
Old 06-02-2005, 05:57 AM

summarized:

[ QUOTE ]
shouldn't eating aminals be banned?!?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

what?

please dole out more quality MHpl/NL advice. shouldn't you be posting about the things you've recently killed?

fim