Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 05-20-2005, 07:43 AM

Default How on earth do you play AA?

The worst thing I know is when I get AA pre-flop. I have wrote down the last weeks pocket AA and realized that I have lost 9/10. I have gone allin pre-flop 4 times, I have slowplayed twice and I have called an allin 4 times. As I loose 9/10......... please make me understand how to play those cards???

Last time was 10 minutes ago at a lev4 Ladders on Ladbrokes. I was first, the blinds was 15/30, I raized 120 just to be sure to get most of them away. The button called and the one on the small blind reraized to 240. Then I went allin. The button folded and the small blind called. He had KK and got another K on 4th.

Ofcourse this was unlucky but as it seems like I loose more than I win my question is this.

How do the pros play AA? They have to fold them all the time to get to the final in a big tournament or do they take a chance every time???????? Sounds strange if they do so but it sounds as strange to fold with AA.
Ola
Old 05-20-2005, 07:49 AM

Default Re: How on earth do you play AA?

Just because AA is a big favorite a lot of the time doesn't mean it always has to win.

Read some books on MTT strategy and keep playing. Your AA win ratio will even out. It's just 10 hands. Standard deviation is still large here.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:59 AM

the right way to play them is to get all your chips in the pot before the flop, along with all of the chips of as many other players as possible.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:04 AM

Keep tracking your aces, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I started tracking mine a year and a half or so ago when I lost 5 of 6 which got up to 7 of 9 times with AA. Including that stretch though, it turns out that I win with aces about 78 percent of the time. You hit anomalous streaks in poker all the time in all sorts of contexts...your streak with aces is just one of them.

--Zetack
Old 05-20-2005, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How on earth do you play AA?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fast.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:39 AM

Got knocked out of three consecutive Stars sats with AA. Once I played it wrong, twice I played it right, with the other guy hitting his two outer on one, and runner-runner on the other. I play those two hands EXACTLY the same.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:32 AM

I am in the same boat as you. Looking at my pokertracker stats AA is my biggest loser by far. I guess its true about them. You either win small or lose big with pocket aces.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:51 AM

Im greatful to your answers and they say at least something. The question is still........ how do a pro do at a bog tournament? Lets say it is the WPT and they have payed $7000 to get in. Do they take a chance or do they fold with AA if someone go allin before the flop?
Ola
Old 05-20-2005, 12:02 PM

This was the source of an article, I believe in CardPlayer last Spring. It was likely discussed here as well, but don't know what to search under.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am in the same boat as you. Looking at my pokertracker stats AA is my biggest loser by far. I guess its true about them. You either win small or lose big with pocket aces.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's gotta be over fewer than 20 instances of AA. Aces are the biggest winner by far for virtually everyone who keeps track, unless you're constantly slowplaying them and calling all ins on four-flush or four-straight boards. but everyone has stretches where you get crAAcked and crAAcked again.