Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 03-15-2005, 05:30 AM

Default Re: Driving a manual in Ireland

I am sure you will pick it up quicker than me trying to find the gearstick on a Buick whatever when I flew into LA. I was sat for about 15 minutes thinking where the hell is it. Why it was on the stearing column I have no idea.

I have drove manuals on the continant and it does take a little bit to get used to changing gear with the "wrong" hand but soon becomes second nature, its more remebering the bulk of the car is on the opposite side to you being used to that is the problem.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:18 AM

I had a spell where I was working in Dusseldorf for a while and was constantly switching between left-hand and right-hand drive cars as I switched between Germany and the UK each week. There's no difference in set-up (pedal, gear position) other than the gearstick being on the other side of your seat.

I quickly reached a point where I didn't 'notice' whether the car was left or right handed. The frequent switches became natural.

For a US driver, the big question is how comfortable you are with driving a manual car in the first place. If you're happy with a left-hand drive manual then the switch shouldn't be a problem although it'll feel a bit alien to you at first.

Sheriff
Old 03-15-2005, 08:41 AM

Irish roads = not very good.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:44 AM

Car WILL BE RIGHT HAND DRIVE.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:35 AM

*****Warning - Thread Hijacking now in progress.*****

My ancestry originates in Ireland. Specifically, County Fermanagh in Ulster, in Northern Ireland. What can you folks from across the pond tell me about this area?
Old 03-15-2005, 11:39 AM

"My ancestry originates in Ireland. Specifically, County Fermanagh in Ulster, in Northern Ireland. What can you folks from across the pond tell me about this area? "

I used to go to a place called Devenish Island in Fermanagh when I was little. It's an island in a lake with some abandoned ruins on it, I remember it being very pretty and cool. Also, the lead singer of the band The Divine Comedy's father is/was the Bishop of Fermanagh, I believe. That's about all I can tell you about the place. I don't think it's the most happening part of the world. Probably the quietest of the six counties.