Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2005, 05:05 PM

Default Re: 5-10 PL Anyone like this?

[ QUOTE ]
the problem with the turn bet is that if its called, he is commited if a flush card hits on the river when he could aready be drawing dead.

i like the flop play, but i am checking the turn, and probally folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't my opponent be inclined to call my flop CR and fold a flush draw to a pot size turn bet because of my large bet and the board pairing? Maybe even fold a small overpair? Agreed, I was not thrilled when he called my turn bet, but that is not a reason not to make a turn bet.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree, it is pretty tough to put Villian on a hand here. Would he really call the raise on the flop with, say, AJ of hearts? Your raise, out of position, makes it look like you have a set. I think maybe he flopped middle set and didn't reraise because he didn't know whether you had the top or the bottom

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on dude. Is every PL or NL hand played where 1 or both players have a set? I hate this thinking and see it all of the time on here.

This is an aggro player who raised in LP, he could have a wide variety of hands that he would play in this manner up until the turn that do not include a set.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the problem with the turn bet is that if its called, he is commited if a flush card hits on the river when he could aready be drawing dead.

i like the flop play, but i am checking the turn, and probally folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't my opponent be inclined to call my flop CR and fold a flush draw to a pot size turn bet because of my large bet and the board pairing? Maybe even fold a small overpair? Agreed, I was not thrilled when he called my turn bet, but that is not a reason not to make a turn bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you normally raise a set here on the flop? Alot of players semi-bluffs are completely agro and dont resemble their normal betting patterns. If you had the nuts on the turn, why would you force a flush draw to fold?

I have a very hard time folding an over pair in this situation.

Given your action on the flop, I like to check the turn here, and maybe check-raise it depending how much he bets.

If he checks behind, and a heart comes on the river, I'd pot it and fold to a raise.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Come on dude. Is every PL or NL hand played where 1 or both players have a set? I hate this thinking and see it all of the time on here.

This is an aggro player who raised in LP, he could have a wide variety of hands that he would play in this manner up until the turn that do not include a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, fine. Point taken. But I was looking at the entire hand, not just up to the flop. Put yourself in his shoes, facing your line. Is there a "wide variety of hands" that does not include sets that you would (a) call a pot sized c/r on the flop with; (b) call a flop sized bet on the turn with and (c) call an all in with? Would you go all the way with AK or KK? Would you have gone all the way with AJ [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]?

Things I think he could conceivably have after looking at the hand are 34 (but that is a pretty aggro pf raise), 56 (maybe), A5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and a set. What else would you put on the list?
Old 03-14-2005, 06:32 PM

If you miss on the river, are you check folding, or are you going to try and fire another barrel?
Old 03-14-2005, 06:47 PM

I like it when it works [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. In all seriousness, this line is only good if you are pretty sure you opponent will fold QQ or worse when you jam the turn.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:09 PM

phil you must not have gotten the memo on that. in the party poker terms and conditions it clearly states you need a set to raise the flop out of position in pot limit.

--turnipmonster
Old 03-14-2005, 07:26 PM

yes. six of us have exemptions but otherwise it's in the EULA.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:22 PM

Is everyone really ok calling a pre-flop raise with suited-connectors out of position in a heads-up pot? If so, I need to unlearn a lot of things I've learned on here. Is it just because raiser may be on a steal?
Old 03-15-2005, 12:39 AM

Stack sizes.