Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2005, 07:44 PM

Default Equity Formula

Does anyone know of a simple formula for determining your pot equity?

I have written one up that is accurate 95% of the time to within 5% of poker stove results. But it has a total of 38 factors. Is there anything easier out there?
Old 03-09-2005, 01:20 AM

Default Re: Equity Formula

pot equity is not that complicated dude. you take the number of players that see the flop and calculate the percentage they would contribute to the pot if everyone called a bet. Ex...if their are 5 players then everyone has 20% pot equity. if the odds of making your hand are greater than your pot equity you want to see money go into the pot. i don't think you need poker stove to figure this one out. maybe you could clarify your question?
Old 03-09-2005, 01:28 AM

the "odds of making your hand" that you speak of is what he is speaking of when he says pot equity.

when five players see the flop, each does not have 20% pot equity, that would only be true if they all had equally strong hands
Old 03-09-2005, 01:38 AM

From here.[ QUOTE ]
Pot equity is your expected value from the pot. Suppose you have a 20% chance to win the pot. There is $100 in the pot. Thus, your pot equity is $20 (.20 *100).

[/ QUOTE ] Although I think a better definition would use chance of winning if all hands hands stayed to the river.

I'll be honest though, I'm curious about your 38 variable formula for calculating pot odds. Care to go into it a little more?
Old 03-09-2005, 02:01 AM

i think your wrong. the odds of making your hand is your pot odds, but that's not what he asked. pot equity is not dependent in any way on each player having equal hands. ex... if i have a nut flush draw in a 5 way pot, then i have 20% pot equity and 35% chance to hit my draw. that gives me a 15% pot equity advantage. however, that doesn't change the fact that i represent 20% of the pot.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think your wrong. the odds of making your hand is your pot odds, but that's not what he asked. pot equity is not dependent in any way on each player having equal hands. ex... if i have a nut flush draw in a 5 way pot, then i have 20% pot equity and 35% chance to hit my draw. that gives me a 15% pot equity advantage. however, that doesn't change the fact that i represent 20% of the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, that isn't what pot equity is. One concept of pot equity is, suppose everyone turned their hand face-up and agreed to divide up the pot; what would be the fairest split?
Old 03-09-2005, 11:10 AM

Heh, I guess the answer to my question is “No”.

Elmitchbo,

The way equity is discussed at times is confusing. Let’s say there are two types of equity, pot equity and hand equity.

Pot equity is the percentage you contribute based on the number of players.

Hand equity is the percentage of likelihood that your hand is best.

For example, Poker Stove says you have a hand equity of 84.9% if you hold AcQd and the flop is 5hQc7s. Against 4 opponents your pot equity is 20%, but your hand equity is 84.9%.

It is coming up with the 84.9% that I am inquiring about…

Manpower,

It is pretty simple if you just fiddle with Poker Stove a bit. For example, on the river a mid pair is worth roughly 65%. However, there are other factors to consider: if there is an over card, subtract x amount; if there is an ace, subtract x amount; if you have a weak kicker subtract x amount.

Work out all of the reasons you could be beaten and you will come up with all of the variables. Then do enough hands on Poker Stove to see roughly what value is given to each one on the flop, turn, and river.

I am not trying to get some magical equity percentage to decide what I am going to do. Instead, I am using it more as an exercise to practice identifying the value of my hand.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:06 PM

i think you right.... the answer to your question is 'no'. i'm curious to see your 38 factor equation. it seems like a 'hand strength' formula might be too complicated to use in any practical way. but if you can figure it out, i'd like to see it.

in order to use it on the fly i think you'll be forced to simplify the formula so much that it won't tell you much more than a common sense assessment.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, that isn't what pot equity is. One concept of pot equity is, suppose everyone turned their hand face-up and agreed to divide up the pot; what would be the fairest split?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, this is the point i was trying to get across. in retrospect my post was pretty unclear.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pot equity is the percentage you contribute based on the number of players.

[/ QUOTE ]
That statement is totally wrong.