Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2005, 12:46 AM

Default Re: I suck at no limit.

Hi Phil,

This is a very, very difficult decision. Online vs. someone you've shared the table with for 15 minutes, you are basically just guessing. It will be hard to get info you can use on the turn, because it would require a bet that pot-commits you.

You raised to 60, and still had 750 or so behind. This means that even a solid player might call you with a wide range of hands. Not that you made a bad raise; you just got a bad flop and turn. I could see good or bad players having JTs, QhJh, KhQh, T9s, QQ, JJ, 99h, and some other pocket pairs in this spot.

Furthermore, you have no way of knowing that he IS a decent player. These factors, coupled with his flop call, lead me to the conclusion that you have to be leaning toward dumping your hand at this point. I would check the turn, and give it up for sure if he makes a bet that pot-commits me (200 or more). I might raise him to 350 if he made a smaller bet, and then fold if he moved in. Usually, though, I'd just fold if he bet the turn. If he checked the turn behind me, I would make a blocking bet of about 150 on the river, unless a heart fell. Or, I'd check and usually call up to about that much. Any situation not mentioned (other than a K hitting) would mean I'm folding.

In closing, you may suck at NL [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], but not knowing how to play this hand wouldn't be a reason to think so. It's just a tough spot when you can't look them in the eye.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Check/fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

sucks, but you have to.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's hard to represent the flush when the Ace is out there, what hand is he representing a flush with that he raised so hard preflop? KQs? Maybe but highly doubtful, if the Ace wasn't out then it'd be easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't this apply to my opponent as well? I have a hard time thinking that the A helped him because it is the A of hearts, no??
Old 02-13-2005, 01:06 PM

Default Results and why I suck

I checked, he pushed and I called. To me JJ or QQ with a heart seemed like the most likely holding, plus it was a hand I could beat [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

He had AKo. So my opponent may suck but I definitely suck more. Thanks for the responses, it seems that my opponent's range of hands is too wide to narrow down because of the other limpers in preflop. And the A of hearts was pretty much a horrible card for me.

I felt like he had a big pair or AK preflop. Since the A of hearts came on the turn, I thought that made AK less likely, b/c I thought he would only call the flop bet with AK if he had the A of hearts.

Thanks for the input.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:54 AM

I'm surprised no one has pointed out the obvious big mistake on the flop. You needed to bet more.

There's $165 in the pot and you bet $130? You should have bet at least $200 if not more. If you bet big here, like you're supposed to, then the turn is no decision if he calls.

If he calls your big bet, he's not as likely to have AK, so you are either already beating a smaller overpair or you're practically dead. In either case, an ace on the turn should not slow you down.

But you made a bet just big enough that an AK might call, which makes an ace on the turn a scare card, giving him a chance to take it from you even if he doesn't have AK.

A smaller mistake was made pre-flop as well. There's $45 in the pot (if I understand the blinds correctly) so make it at least $90 when you have a hand like KK and you're not on the button.

natedogg
Old 02-14-2005, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised no one has pointed out the obvious big mistake on the flop. You needed to bet more.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. You're still in the lead, most likely, at this point. While it's possible he might be on suited connectors, which theoretically give him both a straight/ flush draw, (or, God forbid, a ten) you need to bet enough here to make this draw less appealing. I'm guessing if he didn't have the hearts, he had the ace. If you're brand new to No-lim, I recommend Cloutier for a good all-around play strategy. It's geared for tourny play, but its theory I think is a good starting point for new no-lim players.