Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 02-14-2005, 10:16 AM

Default Re: Extremely Successful Player Raises EVERY hand...

Scotty,

High stakes is a completely different game than low stakes. He will have position on you most of the time. If you play those hands out of position against a smart high stakes player you are going broke fast.

Lawrence,

Here are his VPIP and PF raise numbers:

VPIP: 41.31
VP From SB: 52.14
Won $ WSF %: 45.92
BB/100: 18.37
Went To SD%: 25.47
Won @ SD%: 49.97
PF Raise%: 30.23
Saw Flop Not A Blind: 25.80%

You can see he not only raises every hand not a blind, but also a good percentage of the blinds...
Old 02-14-2005, 02:32 PM

Over the years I have seen many of these players. Hyper aggressive, running all over the table, sitting behind a mountain of chips.

It seems to go on day after day, I marvel at how they do it. I start thinking - maybe I should try that style, they really seem to be on to something.

Then I come in one day, and they are gone. I start asking around and find out that they owe money to everyone. They had to quit this poker room because they finally ran out of people to borrow money from.

Meanwhile, the old rocks are still there, year after year. Everyone makes fun of the rocks, how easy they are to read, how easy they are to bluff. And of course, how they refuse to loan money to anyone.

In the long run Clark Kent gets the money and Superman goes broke.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:23 PM

Slowstroke,

I know what you are saying, but your theory is for those players who you never really know their bankroll status. Anyone with the hand history knows how much he makes.

(There are sites you can datamine the hand histories 24 hours a day. And at the high stakes levels, this can be done very easily.)

To use your analogy, this guy is Clark Kent AND Superman, a lot of brains along with his braun. Much moreso than the typical LAG which is easier to win against.

Being a rock works very well in certain types of games and at certain levels, but you will get run over or eaten up by the blinds on others.

Rocks are great in a fish tank, but bad news on a race track [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2005, 04:27 PM

Good points.

I'm just saying that I have never seen one who could last more than a few months.

You said his BB/100 is 18.37 which is so high that I suspect your sample size is very small. How many hands are in your database?
Old 02-14-2005, 05:05 PM

Slow Stroke,

I have millions of hands in my DB. In regards to the player in question, the 18 BB/100 is for the 8,300 hands I played against him. His overall BB/100 is 13.89 for 45,000 hands, which is still very high considering the limit and his style of play.

This thread has regressed to questioning the validity of the statistics at this point, while two high stakes players have already stated it was within reason, so there is nothing more to gain from it.

Cheers
Old 02-14-2005, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]
Stop slobbing his knob? I swear you made him sound like he is a poker god who wins every hand. I love your comment where if you play premimum hands out of position against him he will always out play you. Come on man, stop being such a groupie.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:23 AM

Millions of hands in your database? That is just plain ridiculous.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Millions of hands in your database? That is just plain ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Possible whit shared HH database btw.

-Happy [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 02-15-2005, 11:06 AM

Seether,

Haha, that's funny. I didn't say he would beat anyone with premium hands, I was replying to someone who is obviously not a high stakes player and mentioned that just by playing premium hands he could win. THAT particular player, out of position, would lose. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I am not being a groupie, you try this strategy on medium or lower limits and you will go broke instantly. I have recently moved up to high stakes (2-3 months) and was looking for advice on how he does it.

Sully,

I import over 15,000 hands a day. Start counting [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Since people keep pushing this silly thread I will try to add some useful information...

NL Guru said to look at Mahatma's info. Mahatma does pretty much the same thing. He raises just about every hand he plays that is not a blind, and he raises a good percentage of his blinds. You can read all over 2+2 that Mahatma is considered one of the best, most aggressive players, so there you go...

However, on full ring tables (7-10 players), his VPIP is much closer to mine, in fact, it is slightly lower than mine. This makes much more sense. He is coming in with premium hands and being very aggressive with them.

But again, the difference between Mahatma and the "Other Guy" remains the same. Mahatma's BB/100 for full ring games is really low, while his BB/100 for short handed and heads up is higher. But his BB/100 is still not as high as the player in question.

So that puts me right back to my original point, how can someone so loose have such a high BB/100?

I don't have every hand he plays and he has a high variance, so I probably just missed a lot of his beats.

Just let it go at that guys [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 02-22-2005, 12:11 AM

Greg - Something you said caught my eye - You can sort all the players on a particular site and find out their win rate as # of Big Blinds/100 hands ? How did you do that - what site ? I'd love to know where I stand compared to other players.

I like to be agressive at no Limit, but not this agressive. I was thinking of moving to a low stakes No Limit game and just trying an ultra-agressive strategy - but the problem is that at low limits its just not the same because calling $10 is not the same as calling $500.