Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 02-08-2005, 12:49 AM

Default Notes From LV - Super Bowl Week : Muck You, Dealer

It's impossible to spend 8 days in Las Vegas playing poker, during Super Bowl week, without some notable happenings. I'll start with this, which occured the first day I was there. It is my first, and I promise last ever, bad beat story.

I stayed at Imperial Palace and found myself in their new upstairs poker room playing 100 NL. A MP player raised to $10 and I made it $30 in the cutoff with 66. The button called and everyone else including the MP raiser folded. Flop comes Q-Q-9. I check, and the button checks. Turn is a deuce and I go all in. He had about $90 and I had him covered.

Now fasten your seatbelts.

The button says "I call." I turn up and table my 66 and he turns up and tables his 55. Sweet! Then, as the player is sort of starting to put his chips out in front of him, the dealer reaches over, picks up his cards, and puts them in the muck.

You read that correctly. The dealer reached over, picked up the pocket fives, and mucked them, before the river card was dealt.

The button immediatley said that he had verbally called the bet and the other players confirmed they had heard him. There was no argument regarding the facts. The floorman came over and was explained the situation, and I was pointing to the top two cards on the muck pile saying "there are his two red fives, turn them up. Let's finish the hand." Several at the table, including the player on the button, confirmed he had red fives. The floor asked if the player had physically pushed his chips in front of him, and all agreed he had not done that, only started to. So the floor ruled that his $90 did not have to go into the pot, the hand was over, and I was pushed the $70 in the pot from the preflop action.

I think it's fair to say...that was a beat.

Sparks
Old 02-08-2005, 01:08 AM

Default Re: Notes From LV - Super Bowl Week : Muck You, Dealer

If I were the floorman, I wouldn't even have to find his red fives. The guy said he called and said he had pocket fives. Everybody saw his fives. I'd have him put the money in the pot and deal the river. A 5 comes, he wins; if not, you win.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:31 AM

Well, this certainly takes the title of "worst floor decision ever" away from the other thread!
Old 02-08-2005, 01:47 AM

Yes it does. That is horrible!!!

BTW did you tip the clown?
Old 02-08-2005, 02:30 AM

once again proving that the poker room at the IP is JV. They at least have free sandwiches and cookies.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:54 AM

i dont want to hear your bad beat stories [censored]
Old 02-08-2005, 12:48 PM

I agree, this is the worst decision I have seen in a couple of light years. Both the dealer and the floor made collosal and inexcusable errors here.

al
Old 02-08-2005, 01:00 PM

WOW -- NOW THAT IS BAD -------------
Good thing they have a good comp program ---
After a deal like that you can run to the buffet and get REAL SICK --- 2 bad beats in a day---OUCH
Old 02-08-2005, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW did you tip the clown?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I sure didn't. But I did voice my shock at the dealer's ineptitude, and then picked up my chips and went downstairs for a while to tell the story to the bartender Angelo, who is a 35 year poker veteran. Apparently the dealer was pretty shaken, because when I returned about 30 minutes later to play some more, the guys at the table said I missed another colossal gaff by the same dealer. A few hands after his mucking debacle, they told me, he put out the three card flop, and before the next card, a chip runner delivered a fill for his box. He put the chips in his tray, then burned, then put out another three card flop! I guess with the help of the floorman, they were able to rewind the cards and get the turn card out correctly, then reshuffled the other two cards into the stub, and finished the hand. They said he was shaking like a leaf for the remainder of the down. I actually felt a little sorry for the guy.

Sparks

What's most exciting for me right now though, is the fact that I can brag far and wide, that both Clarkmeister and Andyfox responded to a post of mine, and neither corrected my play of the hand. Damn, I KNEW I was good!
Old 02-09-2005, 04:03 AM

I thought I had seen it all.

I've seen dealers spread flops at stud tables;
I've seen dealers pitch stud cards counter-clockwise;
I've seen dealers complete the river action, then burn and put out a sixth card;

But two flops? That's a keeper!

Where did he put it? Where the turn card goes?