Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2005, 12:29 PM

Default 30-60 hand - mike l thinks I blew one street

And I now agree with him. 30-60. UTG open raises. He's done this with hands like JTo and A9o in the exact same spot. Folded to cranky local in MP who angrily 3-bets. This is not a calm "I have kings so this is my normal 3-bet", this is a "I'm sick of this guy so I'm isolating" 3-bet. Button, a total lag who slowplays his big hands preflop now 4-bets. SB folds. I consider capping from the BB with 6h6d, but decide to smoothcall and checkraise any favorable flop. UTG and MP both call. 4 to the flop for 17sbs.

Flop: 3h 4h 8d. Checked to button who bets, I checkraise, UTG and MP both disgustedly fold, button calls.

Turn: Ts. I bet, button calls.

River: 8h. I bet.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:33 PM

Default Re: 30-60 hand - mike l thinks I blew one street

I'm not sure where mike isn't happy with you, but even though this is presumably short-handed, I'm not thrilled with the calling the 4-bet out of the big blind with 6's.

I like how you check-raised the flop, given that, though, maybe check the turn, hoping for the check-through, and then bet out at the river due to "hitting your flush"?

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 02-01-2005, 12:34 PM

Preflop and flop are standard.

So its gotta be the turn or river.

Since the button is a lag is it likely he will bet the turn with overs? If so then you should have been a badass and checkraised the turn too.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:35 PM

Not shorthanded, it was a full 10-handed table. Just a little juiced up.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just a little juiced up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ye of understatements.

Verily juiced up, I reckon.

Even so -- and someone called this standard pre-flop above? -- this seems a bit ... too much.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 02-01-2005, 01:03 PM

It's hard for me to believe you misplayed the flop or turn here. If you are gonna cold you must have thought there was at least a reasonable chance you had the best, or the only pair, so your flop checkraise seems right. There is no way you can check the turn here. The pot is big, you didnt get three bet on the flop, and he isnt getting a free card. On the river I would be pretty I had the best hand, but I'm not positve betting is correct. First he might actaully check some better hands behind depending on how much he respects you and your image at the time. Second, if his hand is really that random, he might not have a big ace enough of the time for betting to be correct. Maybe you can induce a desperation bluff from some silly overcard holding. So I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure you "mistake" was either preflop or on the river. Hope you won.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:12 PM

a check-raise on the turn would've been hot, but maybe not worth doing in case he woke up with a ten. is mike advocating a river check-raise once you have full information?

interesting hand. this is how i learn from this forum. you can pretty accurately put your three opponents on six overcards, and therefore you have great odds with your 66. your post-flop line relied on the predictable button bet and thinned the field out for a measly 2 sb's.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:31 PM

My guess is the river, LAG will bluff with a lot of hands that can't call, so check the river and hope to induce a bluff.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My guess is the river, LAG will bluff with a lot of hands that can't call, so check the river and hope to induce a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's it. And since he slowplays his big hands, he can't really even have a big ace to call with. So checking to induce is clearly the right play.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:37 PM

I really dont like this turn checkraise stuff. I mean is this guy that much of a moron to bet the turn with a worse hand? You called 3 cold out of the BB and then checkraised the flop in a 4 way pot. The turn is kind of a brick, could he really think he might take it down with a bet here? I guess it could be right agaist certain opponents but he would have to be very likely to bet when when checked to. Anyhow, intersting hand. The more I think about it, my guess is Mike l. wanted to you to check the river, perhaps with the intention of putting in 160 dollars in, but I'm not sure. Only you know how often he is to put in a bet with ace high and also pay off a checkraise with it on the end.