Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2005, 09:39 AM

Default Table Selection

This post is inspired by bisonbison's pithy yet interesting post on limping 22 UTG. The point was made that if you can't limp small pairs UTG, you're in the wrong game. I also recall a while back reading a post saying the same about Axs.

I will not disagree with that, as superior players have demonstrated the soundness of those plays. My question is, do y'all ever choose to play in tougher games anyway? My background is that of a tournament chess player. I played chess tournies for about 12 years before I started playing poker (online for money). In chess, it is a commonly accepted truth that a great way to improve your game is to play against clearly, but not overwhelmingly, stronger players, as it forces you to use all your ability and wits. Though you are likely to lose, you learn more.

Unless heads up, poker is played with more than one opponent. So, a tougher game doesn't have to mean 8 pros, but perhaps just a couple of competent guys who know their stuff. One understands that to play in this game won't be as easy as many others, but the idea would be to gain experience and have to work harder, resulting in more developed skills which can be used to beat weak games more easily, and challenge successfully when moving up.

Also, for me, it's the competitive desire to improve and win. Same reason I like SnGs.

All replies welcome. Happy New Year. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-03-2005, 09:49 AM

Default Re: Table Selection

It seems to me that the answer to this question depends on why you are playing poker. I for the most part do seek out tougher games. I have a day job and play poker because I enjoy it, my only goal at this time is to improve my game. Therefore it makes sense for me to seek out opponents that are better than me. I do so to the extent of even keeping good players that I have come across in my buddy list. However, if I was a pro making my living of my poker earnings then I guess I would be seeking out the more profitable players.