Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2004, 01:23 PM

Default SS Strategy Question: 76s UTG

This hand came up yesterday in the 2-4 game at Foxwoods. I debated playing this hand in this spot, but thought it was ok to play. Someone else thought it was probably -EV, but not by much. I am going to post the situation first, just to get opinions, but later post the actual hand.

The game is 2-4 at Foxwoods. This is probably the toughest 2-4 game that FW has seen in a very long time (Joe Tall, me, and JTG51 are in the 1,2,3 seats, and a friend who plays rather tight is in the 4 seat).

I am UTG with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. In the BB is Joe Tall, and UTG+1 is JTG51. We have been the only aggressors in the game for the past hour, except for 1-2 players who like to get "out of line" every now and then, and they do it with A5o and 97o regardless of position. Otherwise, the game was loose (5+ players to every flop for anywhere from 1-4 bets).

The question is:

Who limps from UTG with 76s? Is this a reasonable play given the texture of the game? Does anyone fold, or even raise here?

I'll post the actual hand later.

Joe
Old 12-27-2004, 01:26 PM

Default Re: SS Strategy Question: 76s UTG

You're in bad position for a weak drawing hand...it's not a good play.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:26 PM

Default Re: SS Strategy Question: 76s UTG

yeah, that sounds like a terrible limp.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:23 PM

Default Re: SS Strategy Question: 76s UTG -- The Hand in Question

This is the hand and how I played it now.

I have 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]UTG. I limp, JTG limps, two MP players limp, button limps, SB limps, Joe Tall checks. 7 to the flop.

Flop: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

JT checks, I check, JTG bets, MP calls, other MP folds, button calls, SB folds, JT raises, I call (the look on his face here was priceless when I did this), JTG 3-bets, all call to me, I cap, all call. 5 to the turn.

Turn: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]( 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img])

I bet, JTG raises, MP calls, button and JT fold, I 3-bet, all call. 3 to the river.

River 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img](8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])

I bet, JTG raises, I have a feeling we're chopping and just call.

Comments?

Joe
Old 12-27-2004, 03:30 PM

Your preflop limp is -EV. You don't have position to maximize value or buy free cards etc. Noone is going to put you on the flopped straight and I would generally lead out on the flop.

I think you should 3 bet the river as 69 is basically an impossibility for his holding based on the betting but a set is quite likely.

ReMMy
Old 12-27-2004, 03:54 PM

ReMMy is right. There is no way this is a good limp under any circumstances.

Also, you must three bet the river. He almost certainly does not have 96. Raise raise raise.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:06 PM

I agree with both of you. 96 is pretty much impossible for this player and the way he played the hand.

After we talked about the hand, I agreed that this is a very bad spot to limp with this hand. Given the opponents and their quality, would you totally remove this hand from play? I've got to think this hand is still ok after limpers from LP. But I agree, UTG is probably not a good spot overall for this hand.

Joe
Old 12-27-2004, 05:09 PM

I call (the look on his face here was priceless when I did this),

My spidey sense went off and I nearly folded to JTG's 3-bet but I was getting odds for and extreme run-out by then.

all call to me, I cap

Wait, where is the "Then Joe Tall says, You limped UTG w/76 suited?"

I had Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for the record.

PS: fold preflop.

Happy Holidays,
Joe Tall
Old 12-27-2004, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I had Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for the record.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice dealers you have other there guys. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2004, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

After we talked about the hand, I agreed that this is a very bad spot to limp with this hand. Given the opponents and their quality, would you totally remove this hand from play? I've got to think this hand is still ok after limpers from LP. But I agree, UTG is probably not a good spot overall for this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Suited connectors are nice hands to play on passive tables that rarely get raised PF. This ain't one of 'em. They're also nice on tables where 6 or 7 players see the flop. You say at least 5, which helps. But with the 2+2ers here, the time to play suited connectors is in late position after a number of limpers, and the 2+2ers have either folded or are in the blinds. It can win a big pot against people with big cards, but you don't want to pay 2SB to see a flop, and UTG you're asking someone to raise behind you.

But you knew that already I guess. (That said, what's everyone's cutoff for open-limping UTG? I'm thinking QJs could be okay, while JTs is a fold, and KQs is a raise?)