Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2004, 01:56 AM

Default Virgin no more!

I spent last week in Vegas, playing real brick and mortar poker with live players. I was in town for a chess tournament, and spent almost all the time not at the chessboard at the poker tables. I did finish positively, playing 2/4 (Monte Carlo) and 3/6 (Stardust and Circus Circus). Next year I plan to check out the Mirage and Bellagio rooms.

I was able to hit a jackpot at Monte Carlo (quad Qs got me $64), and as a bonus I took the pot from my buddy, who was holding AA. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I know that one week of play means little to nothing, but it did help me get over my fear of moving beyond the .50/1 UB games. In fact, the 3/6 tables in Vegas sometimes played just like .25/.50 tables on UB. I guess I imagined that as the stakes went up, the players got better. But plenty of calling stations and folks who fall hook, line and sinker into check raises on the river abounded.

Anyone who plays online and has never made it to Vegas to play should consider it. I had a blast, and even had I ended up in the red, I would have enjoyed myself.

My opinion on the rooms: Circus Circus is a dump. I'll never play there again. It happened to be close to the tournament hotel (Riviera), so a friend got me to go. Monte Carlo was very clean and had a nice atmosphere. Stardust is a bit smoky, and the dealers can be crusty (but not mean); I enjoyed it, and the regulars I met were cool.

Anyone know poker rooms in Vegas I should check out?

Josh
Old 06-23-2004, 02:09 AM

Default Re: Virgin no more!

more importantly...how did you do in the chess tournament??

i kind of suck myself....but if/when i get more financially stable via this poker-thing i intend to take some time to get back into chess.
i really enjoy chess tournaments but haven't played for a few years.
i'm only around 1400 USCF (with moments of 2200 brilliance!!!) so i'm not exactly going to tear up the tourney circuit.

where was the chess tourney and how many entrants??
Old 06-23-2004, 04:05 AM

Tournament: National Open at the Riviera. 800+ players.

I played in the Open section (I am USCF 2079). I scored 1.5/4. I lost to an IM, crushed a 1050 player, drew a FM (2300) and lost a really bad game to a 2250. I outplayed him in the opening, then chose the wrong middlegame idea, and finally refused to take the only endgame chance I had. I am so rusty it is sad. I withdrew after round 4 (of 6) and played more poker. I had a better time at that!

Playing just one or two tournaments a year is no way to stay in chess "shape." I need to play more tournaments. I'd like to get to 2200, but it's not a burning passion or anything. I was really active from 1990 thru about 1995. My claim to fame is winning the 1994 Texas Junior Championship. It's been all downhill since. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2004, 09:48 AM

Glad you enjoyed the poker part of your trip. If you're looking to get more chess practice, hit www.chess.net. When I used to play and before I discovered winning poker, I'd spend a lot of time on there.... losing......