Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 12-26-2005, 07:41 PM

Default WSOP: TOC- How do you qualify?

How were the 2004 and 2005 TOCs players determined?
Old 12-26-2005, 07:58 PM

Default Re: WSOP: TOC- How do you qualify?

Last year I believe they just picked their own group of players that they thought would be most entertaining/qualified. This year I believe you had to be top 20 in a circuit event or the main event (not cetain about the specifics of that though).
Old 12-26-2005, 08:05 PM

Top 20 in the circuit events and the final table from the Main Event. Doyle Brunson, Phil Hellmuth, and Johnny Chan were also invited.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:41 PM

If your hoping to qualify yourself for the TOC next year, all you have to do is to go to the city agency in your town that allows you to change your name. Change your name to either John Chan, Phil Helmuth, OR doyle Brunson and the WSOP committe will invite you for free to their TOC.

Your alternative is to struggle through a difficult tournament, paying a large entry fee, and, maybe you'll get lucky enough to finish at the final table to qualify. But it looks to me like the name change way will work better and easier. Just ask Phil if that aint true.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Top 20 in the circuit events and the final table from the Main Event. Doyle Brunson, Phil Hellmuth, and Johnny Chan were also invited.

[/ QUOTE ]

was the 2005 wsop champ (hatchem weeper?) at the 2005 toc? (i didnt see him on tv, but i tuned in late)
Old 12-26-2005, 10:43 PM

My guess would be that yes, the WSOP champ didn't miss a $2,000,000 freeroll.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:47 PM

2004 was kinda silly
Old 12-27-2005, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

was the 2005 wsop champ (hatchem weeper?) at the 2005 toc? (i didnt see him on tv, but i tuned in late)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, he went out before the TV coverage began. They showed him very briefly as one of the name players that had already been knocked out.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This year I believe you had to be top 20 in a circuit event or the main event (not cetain about the specifics of that though).

[/ QUOTE ]

They also had players from FTs of the other WSOP events, I believe. But, then again, Doyle and Chan both won bracelets so that doesn't make any sense. So you couldn't qualify for the TOC by winning, say, the $5K WSOP NLHE event, but if you finished in the top 20 of a circuit event then you were in? What kind of tournament of champions is that?
Old 12-27-2005, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This year I believe you had to be top 20 in a circuit event or the main event (not cetain about the specifics of that though).

[/ QUOTE ]

They also had players from FTs of the other WSOP events, I believe. But, then again, Doyle and Chan both won bracelets so that doesn't make any sense. So you couldn't qualify for the TOC by winning, say, the $5K WSOP NLHE event, but if you finished in the top 20 of a circuit event then you were in? What kind of tournament of champions is that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly, ESPN is enticing people to play in future circuit events, that's why.