Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 01:48 AM

Default Re: Watch Waxie Move Up

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not just willing to concede that I made the wrong decision, but I'll try to be a little nicer. I certianly don't want to give the impression that I am a know-it-all.

At the same time, when people say "This is always incorrect." or "This is always wrong." I think they are being a little silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, since you didn't include a read, we have to assume that there isn't one, and without a read, there is a standard, typical way to play it, which is what people are suggsesting. If you have a read that suggests otherwise, it's important that you give it.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're silly!

Do you believe in monsters under the bed? If you're playing AJ UTG that weakly, then you are missing a lot of value in 25NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

What data do you have to back this up? Give me pokertracker positional statistics for yourself, comparing the EV of folding versus raising AJ in early position. Better yet, do it for 100 players with more than 10k hands in your database.

Please stop posting such incorrect and baseless advice like it is a fundamental truth. You are making a fool of yourself by doing this.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:52 AM

Alright, fair enough. I've obviously been a little too flippent in my responses and I need to re-think them a little bit. Obviously I am just getting started and have a lot to learn.

In particular, the post you're quoting above was totally out of line. I'm really not trying to come off as this big of a jackass, it's just sort of happening. Apologies.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:56 AM

I guess the point that Isura made about poker tracker really should make me shut up a little bit. I mean, obviously everything I am saying is in the context of playing only about 1k hands over the past few weeks. I don't have poker tracker yet and although I understand why it rules and all the implications of not having it, well, yeah. My argument sort of ends there.

I guess I'm also wary making decisions based on poker tracker for some weird reasons, but they mostly have to do with a biography I read of Bob McNamera.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Alright, fair enough. I've obviously been a little too flippent in my responses and I need to re-think them a little bit. Obviously I am just getting started and have a lot to learn.

In particular, the post you're quoting above was totally out of line. I'm really not trying to come off as this big of a jackass, it's just sort of happening. Apologies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dangerous to post a hand and then have a snappy response for everyone who comments that indicate you already think you know how to best play the hand.

If that's the case, no reason to use these boards.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:06 AM

Waxie I understand why you are getting snappy. Because we yell at your play almost every hand you post. However, there is a good reason we yell at your play almost every hand you post. You dont seem to care the slightest about what position you are in with your pre flop raises or reraises.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not just willing to concede that I made the wrong decision, but I'll try to be a little nicer. I certianly don't want to give the impression that I am a know-it-all.

At the same time, when people say "This is always incorrect." or "This is always wrong." I think they are being a little silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing wrong with disbelieving others and proving things to yourself. All great players do this (more or less) as they move up.

The thing is: you can begin to get an inkling that AJo will lose you money raising it UTG after you play 20,000-40,000 hands. Or, you can accept that if many of the Mods and high volume posters are saying the same thing, then there is probably a good reason for it.

TWP used to have Mr. Kool Aid as his avatar because he thought that posters on 2p2 were a little too willing to take certain ideas about the game as fact. But TWP also logs a great deal of hands and speaks based on a lot of experience.

What I'm saying is that you can keep your own council when reading these forums, but its a lot more beneficial when you have exhausted the resources of others, not when you are just starting out.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed) converter

Hero ($55.75)
UTG+1 ($29.40)
MP1 ($3.60)
MP2 ($43.05)
MP3 ($17.30)
CO ($25)
Button ($29.30)
SB ($26.55)
BB ($37.65)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.25</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to $2.25</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls $1.

Flop: ($5.10) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, MP3 calls $5.

Turn: ($17.10) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $9.05</font>, MP3 calls $9.05 (All-In).

River: ($35.20) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $35.20

They are 2-betting at 25NL with A9.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't decide if the preflop raise or the call of the reraise is worse.

I don't see any hands that you have significant equity against that would reraise preflop. Maybe his range includes PP-AQ (AT?) only one of which you beat for anything at all.

Moreoff you are out of position. Flop play lets him off the hook and you are still behind most of his range. Flop bet/3 bet would be better.

Ug this hand gives me the shudders.

EDIT: AJ is a hand that fish lose some of the most money with because they call preflop raises with it and then hit their hand and think it's the nuts. I accept that a J high flop is better than an A high flop, but you are only going to get J as top pair like what, 10% of the time? I would much rather have 89s than AJo facing a raise even out of position. At least you could be confident that you are head if the money goes in...
Old 12-16-2005, 02:18 PM

in general I tighten up if I get reraised.....you are either folding out a dominated hand, or you are giving a better hand like Kk the chance to reraise you...see the flop cheap, if you flop an ace you are probably ahead, if you don't you are probably behind and I'd fold...that's how I tend to play it.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your raise UTG with AJo is silly. Fold that hand. Then you check raise the flop. Why, to fold out worse hands, but guarantee getting stacked by a set? Just lead out for 3/4 of the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you always fold AJo UTG??