Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 11:27 PM

Default Re: K6s in BB - Turn Donk

[ QUOTE ]
The reason I call k6s in that spot getting 5:1 is not so I can make a +EV decision on a 552 flop

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, but once you get the 552 flop that plan kind of sucks. Do you just check fold every flop without a pair or a draw? I feel like that can't be the best plan since you'll have the best hand sometimes and you should be bluffing some of the time.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:30 PM

my point was just that even if you did check fold that flop every single time calling preflop would still be very +EV.

Against most playears I think check/fold is best. Yes, you may have the best hand but you're OOP and I think making a move on this flop will be too costly against most players.

Against some tight players, I could see calling the flop and donking a lot of turn cards (not 3d..i'm talking A/K/Q etc.) having the highest EV. That way you have a chance to hit a dirty out and can get him to fold Qx, Jx, Kx hands. But as a default I think check/fold is good.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my point was just that even if you did check fold that flop every single time calling preflop would still be very +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, okay. I agree with that. My question is really about maximizing EV, not just ensuring it's positive.

[ QUOTE ]
Against most playears I think check/fold is best. Yes, you may have the best hand but you're OOP and I think making a move on this flop will be too costly against most players.

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay. That's pretty much what I'm asking.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:36 PM

hey I Edited that last post with a qualifier about the call/donk play having the highest EV against some players, just wanted to make sure you saw that
Old 12-14-2005, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hey I Edited that last post with a qualifier about the call/donk play having the highest EV against some players, just wanted to make sure you saw that

[/ QUOTE ]
Gotcha, thanks. I don't think I knew anything about this guy.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Change the 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] to the 7 of non diamonds

[/ QUOTE ]
Even though the 3 gives me a gutshot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it also gives any A a gutshot making it much less likely you'll get A high to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is true, but I doubt Ace high is folding anyway on this board. Since CO knows you can't expect him to fold Ace high, he may be more likely to fold his strong king highs which should help make this bluff profitable.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:05 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I check/fold the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
I feel like if I'm going to call fold a 552 flop I might as well just not play the hand. I'm not really disagreeing because that's what I'd usually do. But it just doesn't make sense if you think about the big picture (one less person, bigger pot, unilkely to have hit my opponent).

I don't know. Maybe I'm just trying a little too hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

the problem with calling the flop is you are committing yourself to taking a shot at the pot, at least some portion of the time. you dont have odds to draw to 6 outs, and thats not considering the fact that you dont have 6. and on this board, you just dont have much folding equity. and you always have the option of deciding on the turn whether you want to take it away. this was a bad card to do it on. first of all, it is a wheel card so Ax might even raise for a free sd. you need to be able to try and hit your outs when your bluff fails

the next is lots of hands are calling you. probably any hand with a diamond calls. you have very little FE on this board. deciding you are going to fire 2 barrels is not an option.

the last problem is this is the quintissential "no one has anything" board and i dont think it takes much more than a novice hand reader to know that you probably dont have anything

i mean, its nice to think "K high is good really often here" but as long as he has position and initiative its going to be tough to take it down with K high. when the times you do tkae it down, it will have taken a significant investment to do so
Old 12-15-2005, 08:21 PM

I hate these type of boards. It always turns into an e-penis battle.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:31 PM

Good post.