Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 03:04 AM

Default Suggested posting guidelines

A good use of this forum is to talk about prospective investments in specific companies. However, when people post about these things it tends to be something like "I want to buy ABC, do you guys think I will make millions or go broke".

I think if we got a regular format for these posts they could be a lot more useful. Think of the poker forums. Start with reads, give the action street by street, maybe include thoughts on individual streets and then any closing remakrs or questions.

My suggestions isn't really a format as much as just some things that should be included. Here's a few off the top of my head:

-Link to most recent 10K in PDF and excel formats (this can usually be found on the investor relations section of the comapny's website)
-Description of what they do (the Profile from Yahoo Finance is usually pretty good for this if you don't want to do too much work)
-Competing firms (again, Yahoo Finance comps should do fine, Hoover's usually has a better list of comps)
-Catalysts that you know about and we might not
-A few metrics (TTM earnings, FCF, growth, ROE, whatever you think is important given the company and the industry)

Hopefully others can add a few more ideas.

If your investment is going to be on a timeframe such that I may not have a chance to eat between the time you buy and sell it then this may not be applicable. In that case I think you should specify that in the title. Something like "BGG - Swing trade bollinger band analysis, planning to buy and sell before you finish reading this sentence....". Whatever you're usuing, just make it clear what your intentions are since there seems to be a pretty noticable distinction between investors and speculators (for lack of a better term) on this site. Personally I'm not that interested in reading a post about a stock you're buying based on the Fibonacci Sequence. Likewise, I'm sure many of you badass traders aren't interested in the stuff that I do/write. I think making it clear in the title will make this forum a lot more efficient.

Anyway, that's just a few ideas. Please add more if you have them.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:32 AM

Default Re: Suggesetd posting guidelines

I kindof did this on my recent post about Sina...your recommendation was not up yet but I will try to edit my post tommorow because I think you have a good idea here.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I kindof did this on my recent post about Sina...your recommendation was not up yet but I will try to edit my post tommorow because I think you have a good idea here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your post is sort of the one that made me think of this. You seem to be genuinely interested in talking about it, and I sort of am too, but it would be much easier to do if each person that wanted to post about it didn't have to fish all over the internet for the same documents and info.

Edit to add that you included more info than most people around here.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:01 AM

Sina post updated
Old 12-15-2005, 09:17 AM

My opinion is, that it is more important not to stiffle any creative energy that someone might want to put into any analysis they might want to share with the forum!

Also, Traders do different types of analysis than Investors, and even in those two broad categories, not everyone does their analysis the same way.

That said, a suggested standard format for those who desire to follow it, could be helpful. But, noone should feel that they shouldn't post because they have neither the time or desire to conform.

Finally, it is always helpful to take a few extra seconds when giving thought to the subject of your post!
Old 12-15-2005, 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it is more important not to stiffle any creative energy that someone might want to put into any analysis they might want to share with the forum!

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm talking about posts like "I like this company's whatever, should I buy the stock?". That's not creative.

[ QUOTE ]
Traders do different types of analysis than Investors

[/ QUOTE ]
I made it prety clear that I didn't think my psot was all that relevant to traders.

[ QUOTE ]
not everyone does their analysis the same way

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, but I think (hope?) everyone requires more than 3 letters before they buy anything.

[ QUOTE ]
it is always helpful to take a few extra seconds when giving thought to the subject of your post!

[/ QUOTE ]
Feel free to edit my misspelling.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm talking about posts like "I like this company's whatever, should I buy the stock?". That's not creative.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those type of posts are by people looking for knowledge/opinion/expertise from the more knowledgable posters... there is no reason to expect basic posts along those lines to go away.

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, but I think (hope?) everyone requires more than 3 letters before they buy anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its worth noting that some people trade a stock (successfully) without knowing anything about the company it represents, including its name.

[ QUOTE ]
Feel free to edit my misspelling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mispelling in online postings are common, and I personally don't feel that they detract from content. I didn't even notice yours, untill you pointed it out!
Old 12-15-2005, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Those type of posts are by people looking for knowledge/opinion/expertise from the more knowledgable posters... there is no reason to expect basic posts along those lines to go away.

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, you're the law around here so it's your call. I think discouraging those types of posts will lead to the whole forum being higher quality.

[ QUOTE ]
Its worth noting that some people trade a stock (successfully) without knowing anything about the company it represents, including its name.

[/ QUOTE ]
My point is only that they know SOMETHING about it. Maybe that something is whatever weird analysis you guys like to do using the Taylor Series or Zeno's Paradox. It's still something, though.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:31 AM

Default Re: Suggested posting guidelines

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, you're the law around here so it's your call. I think discouraging those types of posts will lead to the whole forum being higher quality.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is only 1 Stock Market forum on 2+2... this forum should be a useful resource to beginners and those more experienced!

I expect that as more poker players realize they should be doing something productive with their excess bankroll, that they will find this forum helpful.

There are no laws... lets just have FUN and make MONEY!