Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 08:16 PM

Default Re: Recognizing good 2nd best hands...

i think hand 1 is an easy 3bet on the turn due to the idiot button padding the pot.

i like hand 2 but i can often raise the river with a read.

fold the river in hand 3. j/k.

edit: hand 3 you oughta 3bet the flop and lead. checked around on the turn is a disaster and that board is very drawheavy.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2. raise the river but its very close. youll see TPTK or aces up all the time. this type of player is very capable of overplaying

[/ QUOTE ]

the reason i dont like raising the river is bc you lose 2 bets when behind but only make 1 when ahead.

of course against an overaggro its an easy raise.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:28 PM

Hey krishan,

I like the theme of your post.

Hand1:
I think you need to put another raise in hand1, I prefer to do it on the turn b/c with all the calling button's been doing he's either on a big draw(FD etc) or a slowplayed hand like a straight or some-such, either way he's not folding often after already calling 2 cold on the turn.

This hand is the opposite of hand 2...here we have very little info from preflop - an MP open-raise from a 40/10 can be a surprising array of hands, though some should be weighted more than others. He could bet-call, raise, a wider range(Ax of many varieties, straight, KT-KQ, QQ) so the relatively tight (AA, AK) range we're behind isn't as worrisome as it is in hand 2, where his whole range is very tight b/c of preflop. The 3rd player does good things for our equity as he is usually drawing dead/slim(though he doesn't know it) and slowing down would be more of a concern HU.

Hand2:
While my aggroHUSHSelf wants to keep shoveling bets in I need to recognize what is painfully clear - the 3 combinations of AA are the most likely hand because of weighting...I think he'd raise-4bet AJ ~35% of the time pf. I'd say ~10-15% for 77, ~20% for 99. AK is likely preflop, but needs to be discounted severely b/c of the exessive turn action. We're left with a lot of "he might have that" type hands that are heavily discounted, with the obvious AA looming over them all. The heads-up nature of the hand makes our big-street mistakes more costly and I think you get 3bet on the river here often. Nh.

Hand3:
I 3bet this flop. I'd be more interested in a smoothcall-cr if A) our hand was a little stronger (no made straight?) B) there were more opponents to draw equity from. It's cheaper to go extra bets on the small streets and I get to decide if I want to put extra bets in if I fill up.

Surf
Old 12-12-2005, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I 3bet this flop. I'd be more interested in a smoothcall-cr if A) our hand was a little stronger (no made straight?) B) there were more opponents to draw equity from. It's cheaper to go extra bets on the small streets and I get to decide if I want to put extra bets in if I fill up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen brotha, Amen.

Krishan
Old 12-13-2005, 01:20 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For #1 I'm guessing you think his flop action is significantly more consistant with a weakear K than it is with AK or AA?

[/ QUOTE ]

button flopped a straight and isnt likely to fold. string him along

maybe my instincts arent so good though. does kinda look like KQ no good and it would be a catastrophe if the button folded for 2 more

[/ QUOTE ]

Instincts were right on this one. It was the only hand of the three I won.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

did button flop a straight?
Old 12-13-2005, 02:55 AM

1 - put another bet in one turn.
2. - sick. u are going to lose a few bets in these situations. Some opponents raise river, but I just call here.
3.I call flop w/ more opponents. As it is, I 3bet.

Question though. What is your plan on hand 3 if u get capped on the flop, if u 3bet it that is.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For #1 I'm guessing you think his flop action is significantly more consistant with a weakear K than it is with AK or AA?

[/ QUOTE ]

button flopped a straight and isnt likely to fold. string him along

maybe my instincts arent so good though. does kinda look like KQ no good and it would be a catastrophe if the button folded for 2 more

[/ QUOTE ]

Instincts were right on this one. It was the only hand of the three I won.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

did button flop a straight?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, JhTh so he had a flush draw to go with it.

Krishan
Old 12-13-2005, 07:26 PM

Hand 1 Villian had KJo and I took it down.

Hand 2 Villian had AA. I lose.

Hand 3 Villian had KJ. I lose.

Krishan