Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-12-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Stars 1/2. Can i call this?

Sorry, converter not working for me. Preflop raise is pretty loose for me but i hadnt seen a flop after raising 3 times at this table. I usually play .5/1 so i am not sure if short stacks are any more intelligent at this level. I'm pretty sure i would call this at 100NL, but i don't know if i can here. What do you put his hand range on to do this. I suppose this is the issue with raising my type of hand is that i basically got a pretty good flop and still feel hesitant to call. How would this change if you had A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], or Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
POKERSTARS GAME #3311511004: HOLD'EM NO LIMIT ($1/$2) - 2005/12/12 - 02:48:31 (ET)
Table 'Eros' Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: Kollikock ($252.20 in chips)
Seat 2: mmmc ($75.40 in chips)
johnnyvero ($197 in chips)
Seat 5: tonzy ($196.75 in chips)
Seat 6: Pasadena66 ($278 in chips)
Kollikock: posts small blind $1
mmmc: posts big blind $2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to johnnyvero [T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
johnnyvero: raises $5 to $7
tonzy: calls $7
Pasadena66: folds
Kollikock: folds
mmmc: calls $5
*** FLOP *** [8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
mmmc: bets $68.40 and is all-in
Old 12-12-2005, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Stars 1/2. Can i call this?

Preflop is definately pretty bad. You have to play the hand OOP and have to hit big to continue. When he open pushes you still have to consider that there is a player behind you left to act. Top pair and a gutshot don't look too good, even if he's usually only pushing with a drawing type hand. I fold, move on, and not get myself in this situation next time.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, converter not working for me. Preflop raise is pretty loose for me but i hadnt seen a flop after raising 3 times at this table. I usually play .5/1 so i am not sure if short stacks are any more intelligent at this level. I'm pretty sure i would call this at 100NL, but i don't know if i can here. What do you put his hand range on to do this. I suppose this is the issue with raising my type of hand is that i basically got a pretty good flop and still feel hesitant to call. How would this change if you had A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], or Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
POKERSTARS GAME #3311511004: HOLD'EM NO LIMIT ($1/$2) - 2005/12/12 - 02:48:31 (ET)
Table 'Eros' Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: Kollikock ($252.20 in chips)
Seat 2: mmmc ($75.40 in chips)
johnnyvero ($197 in chips)
Seat 5: tonzy ($196.75 in chips)
Seat 6: Pasadena66 ($278 in chips)
Kollikock: posts small blind $1
mmmc: posts big blind $2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to johnnyvero [T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
johnnyvero: raises $5 to $7
tonzy: calls $7
Pasadena66: folds
Kollikock: folds
mmmc: calls $5
*** FLOP *** [8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
mmmc: bets $68.40 and is all-in

[/ QUOTE ]

Short stacks do weird things. I only call this if I have a read on short stack. Is he short because he lost a big one and is on tilt? Did he buy-in short? Hand range is too wide to be a factor. I'd call with QQ figuring more than half the time I'll be good against a short stack on a nut flush draw. I'd call with top pair only if I had a read.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:45 PM

TJ [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and if not, then 57 or a set. Can't call here. Don't raise SC's from UTG. That will not win you money, in almost any kind of game.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:11 PM

Preflop is fine. I'd fold the flop without a read. Even though I think you frequently have the best hand here, you're going to run into a lot of situations where you're only a small favorite and sometimes you'll be way behind. If your pot odds were a little better I'd lean towards a call.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, converter not working for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is it really THAT HARD to make your post look decent without the converter?

I don't like PF, but only because of the short stack in the BB.

Fold flop. (Barring a read)

With A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I fold.

With QQ, I beat him into the pot.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have played about 1500 hands at 6max, and from my limited understanding of the game, position is extremely important. I was also under the impression that SC's go down in value since there are less players and therfore, less chances for a multiway pot that these type of hands thrive on. Can you explain why this preflop raise OOP is okay?
Old 12-12-2005, 07:01 PM

It's five handed. He has a playable hand and position on half of his opponents.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:02 PM

no. The other hands it comes down to reads. QQ probably against an unknown.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have played about 1500 hands at 6max, and from my limited understanding of the game, position is extremely important. I was also under the impression that SC's go down in value since there are less players and therfore, less chances for a multiway pot that these type of hands thrive on. Can you explain why this preflop raise OOP is okay?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its okay because the game is 5 handed and no one has called one of his PF raises yet. You should start mixing in SC raises from EP, its healthy for metagame and makes you better postflop too