Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 01:44 PM

Default Re: results

[ QUOTE ]
I am so convinced that at this level you really got to learn to play mixed games. You can't believe how soft they can be for anyone who plays all games reasonably well.

I don't think I've ever played straight holdem higher than 150/300, and I think that even during tournament time, a straight 200/400 holdem game, even for the best player in the game, has the variance to expectation ratio that I, being the nit I am, would not like.

(Also, I would've been real surprised if you weren't one of the two best at the table.)

[/ QUOTE ]

when we met each other at vegas i told BK this. he wanted to get some big hold'em games going above 80 but nobody would want to play without another game.

i'm convinced that if you just got decent at other games your edge at holdem would be much greater than their edge in other games. everybody knows that everybody has a "best" or "favorite" game. thats why you'll rarely find a straight holdem game above 100-200.

but bk says he's from MN and its not +EV enough for him to learn other games unless he actually moves to vegas or LA or wherever.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After playing that game all weekend...

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm honestly now convinced I was the best player in that game

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had opened the thread up and seen a post where you opened UTG with 23o and capped every betting round with the nit who only raises with the nuts and then someone had asked me what your chances of being successful at higher limit cash games was, my answer would be higher than the answer I'd give after reading this and being asked the same question.

Your ego can only hurt you in this game.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had opened the thread up and seen a post where you opened UTG with 23o and capped every betting round with the nit who only raises with the nuts and then someone had asked me what your chances of being successful at higher limit cash games was, my answer would be higher than the answer I'd give after reading this and being asked the same question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even though I felt this way I have no desire to play with the other good players as the edge in hold-em isn't that big once you've got most of the stuff down which most of the other players in the game have. I was just able to find their weaknesses. I also left the game when I didn't like the line-up even though I felt this way. Too much variance for not enough edge. I don't see how my 'ego' hurt me in this situation. I always shoot it like it is. I suck at mixed games. I suck at nl, I think I was the best limit hold-em player in that bunch. It's not me being ego driven, just giving my perspective. You're entitled your oppinion though.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Even though I felt this way I have no desire to play with the other good players as the edge in hold-em isn't that big once you've got most of the stuff down which most of the other players in the game have. I was just able to find their weaknesses. I also left the game when I didn't like the line-up even though I felt this way. Too much variance for not enough edge. I don't see how my 'ego' hurt me in this situation. I always shoot it like it is. I suck at mixed games. I suck at nl, I think I was the best limit hold-em player in that bunch. It's not me being ego driven, just giving my perspective. You're entitled your oppinion though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Upon a player reaching a desired edge in a relatively large game its time to learn others. As posters have mentioned there are very few players who play mix games with +EV and many players who enjoy playing other games.

If you beleive you've learned the finer points on limit hold'em you'll grasp those same points in the other games quickly.

Surely you're aware of these points, so my question is why have you not begun to branch out? The comfort factor is understandable.
good luck. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-10-2005, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Surely you're aware of these points, so my question is why have you not begun to branch out? The comfort factor is understandable.
good luck. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I don't live in vegas and there are no 'mixed games' or other games around here. I go to vegas from time to time but not enough to warrent giving up all the expected earn to learn the games enough to be proficient enough in a 200/400 mixed game. I'm primarily an internet player and I make my money playing limit hold-em and don't have any need on there to learn other games. I often go to vegas for fun more than anything and for now I guess I'll just have to be content often playing the 80/160 as the higher hold-em only games don't go very often.

If/When times change and I need to adapt and learn other games, I'll do it...but as my situation is now all I have to know is hold-em to pull in the money. It is pretty damn boring though so maby over the next year I'll start picking up the other games more. I do KNOW them, I'm just not anywhere near and expert at them.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:12 PM

Default Re: 200/400 bellagio vs liz lieu

Any thought to CRing turn? Or would your running-bad table image make it very likely she calls you down with just about anything, and certainly won't fold the hands that would make this a + EV move?