Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 05:51 PM

Default Re: KQ flops trips against laggy PF raiser

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but what am I supposed to do when it gets capped and I don't hit the flop (happens the majority of the time)?

[/ QUOTE ]
first of all most players (even laggy ones) don't indiscriminately cap every hand they raise. second, you don't miss every time. your statement is simply untrue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether he just calls or caps, I now have to make continuation bets on the flop, right? I generally don't like to do that if I can't beat ace high...

I didn't say it always misses, I said it misses the majority of the time.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:56 PM

you said "it gets capped and i don't hit the flop" happens a majority of the time. if you meant you just miss the flop a majority of the time, okay.

but yeah, you will make a continuation bet basically all the time when you 3-bet preflop.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I keep trying to work out in my head why it is so important to isolate the raiser when all it does in my eyes is cut down the size of the pot and force me into a situation where I'll probably be betting or calling with a worse hand. There really aren't very many hands in his range that KQo beats, LAG or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can someone raise 18% of the time, and not have A LOT of hands in his range that are dogs to KQo?

[ QUOTE ]

To those who advocate raising pre-flop, tell me this. When the flop comes all blanks and he bets, am I supposed to fold right there after having 3bet pre-flop and appear weak-tight? Am I supposed to call down with king high? I hate both of those options. Why should I put myself in that position when I could just coldcall and see if I catch?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well those are situations you'd have to evaluate as they come. But the points are:
1) You are in position, against a player who is likely raising with a hand worse than your own
and
2) You increase your pot equity by knocking the blinds out of the hand and getting this heads up
Old 12-06-2005, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I keep trying to work out in my head why it is so important to isolate the raiser when all it does in my eyes is cut down the size of the pot and force me into a situation where I'll probably be betting or calling with a worse hand. There really aren't very many hands in his range that KQo beats, LAG or not.

To those who advocate raising pre-flop, tell me this. When the flop comes all blanks and he bets, am I supposed to fold right there after having 3bet pre-flop and appear weak-tight? Am I supposed to call down with king high? I hate both of those options. Why should I put myself in that position when I could just coldcall and see if I catch?

[/ QUOTE ]

somewhere on this forum possibly in the general hold'em forum is a very long response by Ed Miller about preflop raising.

You got UTG limping, a LAG raising from MP, no calls after the raise, and the blinds to act after you. You have position and you should raise to isolate AND to take control of the hand. UTG has shown no strength, and MP could have a very wide range of hands. If you miss on the flop, so what? You're last to act. Based on the play ahead of you, you can decide what to do. You don't know that he will bet out if the flop comes all blanks and you raised pre-flop. Maybe he will and maybe he won't. If he does, you can decide to peel one off, raise, or fold. I hate cold calling. I almost NEVER do it, PT says less than 0.5% of the time. Either raise or fold. Both SSHE and ITPM talk about how it is usually a BAD idea to cold call.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:09 PM

theres enough variance in limit holdem, so if you want to increase it go ahead.

preflop this is a position/value 3 bet. be stubborn post flop if you miss and the lag starts betting, but with the 3 bet pf i dont know how often you get donked so you may get a cheap showdown if you bet right.