Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 07:17 PM

Default weird happening at canterbury last night

I raised and was called by a few players, and when everything was over, a decent enough player turned over 92o that he supposedly called to my raise and takes the pot. I had folded on the turn.

He told me later he turned around to talk to the person behind him and hwen he turned back there was a flop out there and he never put a dime in the pot before the flop.

Part of me fealt a little ripped off but then again it's partly my fault for not watching the action carefully. I just let it go though.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:28 PM

Default Re: weird happening at canterbury last night

Was he in the BB or something?
Old 11-28-2005, 07:32 PM

He (imo) had an ethical obligation to immediately call attention to the error. To take an illegal freeroll like that is (IMO) cheating everyone else at the table. He should point out he didnt call pre and since action has gotten so far past him, I believe his hand should then be ruled dead. But I'm not sure.

Jeff
Old 11-28-2005, 07:40 PM

he should speak out, i agree, but the average player wont... they will just free roll, its really sad.

the dealer should notice this, he/she should not let the next person act until he has acted...

btw, how often do you guys play at canterbury? i think i am going to be there next week.

-ryan
Old 11-28-2005, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

btw, how often do you guys play at canterbury? i think i am going to be there next week.

[/ QUOTE ]

once a week or so.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:41 PM

not bad, what days are good? weekends? or is it all the same?
Old 11-28-2005, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
not bad, what days are good? weekends? or is it all the same?

[/ QUOTE ]

more or less all the same. evenings are better than days though.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He (imo) had an ethical obligation to immediately call attention to the error. To take an illegal freeroll like that is (IMO) cheating everyone else at the table. He should point out he didnt call pre and since action has gotten so far past him, I believe his hand should then be ruled dead. But I'm not sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know man, we scratch our heads on here day and night trying to eke out a few BB, and this guy found out a way to win a whole pot of BB's where if he had spoken up, he wouldn't have won any. there might be a lesson here, should we ever find ourselves in the same spot.

it would be tricky after the pot is won if someone asks how you were in the hand with 92o. you could tell the truth and explain how all of a sudden the flop was out and you had two pair - but only do this if the chips are already in front of you. or you could outright lie and say you called the raise, but this could be tough if you have a lot of tells the table is aware of.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:07 PM

If someone requested (at the end of the hand) that the pot be counted and it was found to be short, this guy would be in a world of trouble if the cameras were on. My guess is you could get barred for KNOWINGLY SHORTING THE POT. As soon as the flop came down, I would say: HOLD IT. I never called preflop and just discard my hand (as I'm sure I'd be told to do). I don't care if the flop came 9-9-2 rainbow and it went bet-raise-raise to me. My integrity and respect for the game and those who play it (as well as the desire to be able to play in a cardroom I like) would make me do the right thing. I have no doubt about that.

Jeff
Old 11-28-2005, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't know man, we scratch our heads on here day and night trying to eke out a few BB, and this guy found out a way to win a whole pot of BB's where if he had spoken up, he wouldn't have won any. there might be a lesson here, should we ever find ourselves in the same spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we wanted to eke them out by cheating, there are many easier and more lucrative ways to do it. He knowingly shorted the pot. The lesson is, speak up. At the very least, fold the hand at the next opportunity.

Regards,

T