Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-21-2005, 08:19 PM

Default Re: ($22) Live and die by the river.

If it makes you feel any better, I think a lot of us hate these hands too.

Hand 1: Bet the flop! Someone might have you outkicked, but how are you going to find out if you don't charge people. You're way ahead most of the time here. Charge people to draw and at least expose their hand if they have a better king. If you don't do that, whenever everyone checks the flop, raise the turn! River call is fine.

Hand 2: I'd bet the flop. Your hand plays real well here. Then I'm betting the turn too. You've got to charge people to draw at a straight or flush. It's just you and the other blind at this point. Neither of you have done anything to expose the strength of your hands at all. River is fine, call it down.

Hand 3: Put SOME sort of bet in on the turn. If he doesn't have an ace, he's probably folding right there. If he has an ace, a flush draw, or a small pocket pair, he's calling. Otherwise, you win. River I'd have called. Unless this guy slowplays a lot of hands, I think there's a decent chance you're still ahead. A read on UTG+1 would be helpful.

Moral of the story: It's NO LIMIT Texas Holdem for a reason. Take advantage of that. Bet when you have opportunities to. Get money in when you're probably ahead. Make other people call or fold to significant bets so you at least have some idea where you stand in a hand.

The way you played these, you have no idea if you're ahead or behind at any point because you never made a significant bet.