Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 11-21-2005, 02:38 AM

Default Re: A river situation that gives me problems...

Pretty much. When i am in floating mood i might not c/r the flop, but you line in this hand is just fine.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:21 AM

So we are value betting against worse hands and folding to raise on the river hopefully to better hands.

I just see him folding AQ, AJ a lot more here than if we were to just check and maybe he'll bluff (I think this happens a bunch). I also don't see why we bet here if he has a better hand like Js or Qs, do we think he will fold?
Old 11-21-2005, 03:48 AM

Hi lil feller,

This is the kind of heads up line I've been exploring a lot in private recently. I'll quickly say that I like your play up to the river. I think your hand ranges are a little tight, but I'll work with them.

Now, what to do on the river? Will she fold JJ-QQ? Will she call ace high? Will she bet JJ-QQ if you check? Will she bet ace high?

You really just don't know the answer to any of these questions. You need to find them out. Until that time, the best strategy is a mixed strategy.

Personally, I like a bet. I want to know if she'll call with ace high. That changes a lot of how I handle the blinds heads up, since it makes it much harder to bluff. So I start there.

Now, if she raises, I like a call. I'll be in the minority here, and I agree the call looks like a long shot. If she's bluffing though, I find out right away what she can do. If she's not, I plant a major message in my opponent's mind. Do not bluff me. I will call. This lets me fold with much more confidence for some time to come.

I think a proper mixed strategy is to check-fold sometimes, check-call sometimes, bet-fold sometimes, and bet-call sometimes, given that you don't know what she'll call with, what she'll bluff-raise, etc etc.

Based on intuiton, I'll throw out some numbers:

check-fold 10%
check-call 30%
bet-call 10%
bet-fold 50%

You can flip a coin or whatever if you don't want to outguess your opponent. If you do want to outguess them and want to go my route, go bet/call. Bet/fold is probably the highest EV play if you took the hand in a vaccuum, but you'll have no idea next time she raises you what to do. Better hope you have a monster next time so you get to see her cards, or good luck guessing, because you've made it clear you can laydown a hand, but you don't know if she'll notice.

Good luck.
Eric
Old 11-21-2005, 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So we are value betting against worse hands and folding to raise on the river hopefully to better hands.

I just see him folding AQ, AJ a lot more here than if we were to just check and maybe he'll bluff (I think this happens a bunch). I also don't see why we bet here if he has a better hand like Js or Qs, do we think he will fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

In my experience, big aces do not bluff very much. It's just an extension of the idea that players with hands with some showdown quality seem to bluff less than they should.

A bet against typical opponents is purely for value. AQ / AJ is much more common than QQ / JJ, by almost 3:1.

my 2 cents.
Eric
Old 11-21-2005, 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

A bet against typical opponents is purely for value. AQ / AJ is much more common than QQ / JJ, by almost 3:1.

[/ QUOTE ]

youre not considering that most sane ppl muck AJ to a CR on K83r.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think he's letting go of any hand on the river that he calls the turn with. The only way you get anymore from a worse hand is checking to get him to bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think he calls w/ AJ or AQ? I guess its player dependant, since we don't know much about each other its tough to tell.

lf

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry Lil feller, my girfriend was yelling at me from the other room that our tv show was starting when I origanally posted, so edited a bit too much in my haste. hence the reason I don't post too much!

It's not that I don't think AJ and AQ aren't calling here, although I think they call much less than most do, It's that I hate getting blown off my hand by worse hands, and I hate putting money in when I'm behind. Inducing bluffs has become a staple of my game against over aggressive opponents, just like value betting is a staple against passive calling stations. Mixed strategy is of course superior against thinking opponents. Your determination about what to do here is going to depend on a read.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:02 PM

Default Results

She had JJ and HHIG

If you're in her shoes, and you get c/r on that flop and led into on the turn, do any of you find a fold w/ JJ on the turn, or the river?

lf
Old 11-21-2005, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Results

Lil Feller-

if you're going along with Eric's ideas, you're asking the wrong question. I think you should phrase it as:
Holding JJ when you've been checkraised on the flop and led into on the turn, what is your distribution of folding/calling/raising?

Absent a read, I'm in the {5,80,15} mood, myself on the turn, and probably {20,80,0} (essentially) on the river
Old 11-21-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
She had JJ and HHIG

If you're in her shoes, and you get c/r on that flop and led into on the turn, do any of you find a fold w/ JJ on the turn, or the river?

lf

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends how often my opponent tends to c/r the flop without at least TPTK. She might have noticed that you tend to automatically c/r the flop when a high card hits in these situations so she still figured there was a very good chance she was still ahead. If I was her in the situation you described, I'd have re-raised you after your c/r.