Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 12:45 PM

Default Re: Step 4: Trips, out of position, no kicker

[ QUOTE ]
You gotta keep calling with this hand. You want to let weaker hands give you more chips, which is much more unlikely if you show interest in this hand with an ace on the board. You also minimize your losses if you're up against a stronger ace.

I don't mind folding preflop if Other Guy hasn't been putting in any position raises. Then it's just too likely (to me at least) that you're up against a stronger aces rather than up against a pocket pair (which won't always pay you off when your ace hits). If Other Guy minraises somewhat or quite a bit then calling and playing the flop isn't a bad idea.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with all of this if you decide to play the hand to maximize value against weaker hands, but why not lead the flop so that you can find out whether you are against a stronger hand. Let's be clear, this is not a good flop for our hand, let's try and take down the pot on the flop so we at least know where we are. While calling down wins us the most against pp's and the like, we often get stacked by better aces. I see no reason for that to happen here (not until the third A comes anyways).
Old 11-16-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not lead the flop so that you can find out whether you are against a stronger hand. Let's be clear, this is not a good flop for our hand, let's try and take down the pot on the flop so we at least know where we are. While calling down wins us the most against pp's and the like, we often get stacked by better aces. I see no reason for that to happen here (not until the third A comes anyways).

[/ QUOTE ]

I was really more interested in NOT leading out to see where I stood. If I bet out and was called, I still wouldn't have much of an idea, it would just open up the possibility of being raised. I was willing to give my opponent a free card to see where he felt he stood.

The size of his bet made me feel behind, but not so behind that I felt like it was a mistake to see another card. I entered the hand feeling he had a mediocre A or K. I felt like I would still be able to get away on the turn with minimal damge, if necessary, and I may have a better feel of the hand to go with Plan A which was to move him off on the turn or river.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:55 PM

I typically check call here, make a small bet on the river if it is checked through (or just check, depending on other guy).

I am much happier if the one of the babies on the board is a T+ instead of a baby. Even then this is a take it easy hand for me, and I will be basing my play of tough spots on my read of other guy. (Against a rock, for instance, I am folding this pre flop with no hesitation. Against an aggressive stealer who can lay down pre flop, I may push pre flop. Post flop here can be unpleasant, but against a boring player I like the pf call.)
Old 11-16-2005, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody that would back you is a moeran [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Another successful mission for Captain Obvious