Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 01:36 PM

Default 5/5 NL: The story of a suited one-gapper.

Live game, 5/5 NL 500 max buy-in @ Ocean's 11. Me and Villain both have about 1500. The game is extremely loose aggressive - every pot gets raised pre-flop and multi-way, usually 3-4, and by the end of the hand at least $400 will have changed hands.
Villain is decent, aggressive. Several hands prior made a big raise w/ TPGK then folded when I 3-bet.

Hero - Button - 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Folded to MP2 (130) who raises to 30, I call, SB (Villain) calls.

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Checked around.

Turn: A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Villain checks, MP2 goes all-in for 100, I make it 190, Villain wakes up and makes it 490....

What's the move?

Kirk
Old 11-13-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Re: 5/5 NL: The story of a suited one-gapper.

How often will SB bluff all-in the river on one diamond?
Old 11-13-2005, 02:07 PM

why did you raise the all-in?
Old 11-13-2005, 03:14 PM

I dont like the raise of the all-in guy here, and IMO the villian is trying to shut you out of this pot with a big diamond and a pair. I'd call the raise and call/push the river.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why did you raise the all-in?

[/ QUOTE ]

a) In case SB had K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]x.
b) Just in case he did have a big piece of that, the raise disguises my flush.

Kirk
Old 11-13-2005, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How often will SB bluff all-in the river on one diamond?

[/ QUOTE ]

Him - probably close to never once I call the turn, as he knows at that point I've got a pretty big hand myself and won't try to move me off of it. So if he's bluffing (or semi-bluffing) he's done on the turn unless he improves.

I'm surprised no one advocates folding here.

Kirk
Old 11-13-2005, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO the villian is trying to shut you out of this pot with a big diamond and a pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you the think that's what Villain is trying to do, wouldn't you have to say the raise worked perfectly?

Kirk
Old 11-13-2005, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The game is extremely loose aggressive - every pot gets raised pre-flop and multi-way, usually 3-4, and by the end of the hand at least $400 will have changed hands.
Villain is decent, aggressive. Several hands prior made a big raise w/ TPGK then folded when I 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on your discription of the game and the aggressive nature of the villian, I push here. You are ahead here more times than not in a loose aggressive live game. You do not have enough left to make an effective raise that doesn't look super strong and there are too many cards that kill your action on the river.

BTW I would bet the flop, about 1/2 to 2/3 the pot, it would make this hand play much easier.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:08 PM

Preflop I doubt anyone has a qualm about. Suited one-gappers with position in this crazy of a game are surely profitable.

Flop, I think the check behind is also fine. It sounds like people will chase with a lot and there is little chance of winning immediately with your 7-high flush draw, so I check too.

Turn, things get interesting. SB's check doesn't reveal much about his hand. It's easy to put MP1 on either something slowplayed from the flop (unlikely) or hitting the ace (likely) and figure he will bet. So, SB could check with a monster, or anything else. MP1 pushes, ok he's probably got an ace. Now it's on you. What purpose does raising serve? It will *usually* function to shut out SB from competing for the pot, leaving you heads up with the allin which is probably drawing nearly dead to you. I don't like that. I flat call, hoping to induce action from the SB. Given that you raised, his big raise just seems terribly unlikely to be a semi-bluff. A value raise with anything that doesn't beat you (like a set) also seems terribly unlikely. A pure bluff is ALSO unlikely given someone is allin. So...that leaves a flush, and his is gonna be higher. I think fold is best.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:49 AM

Default RESULTS

I didn't even consider raising, as any raise would be all-in and there's no hand that pays me off here I could think of.

Seriously considered folding, but finally decided there's enough hands he could be doing that with that I beat and called.

River: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

He thought about it for half a second and checked. Again, anyone for pushing? I checked behind and got shown JdTd. Weak?

Kirk