Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 09:09 PM

Default It started out as a steal...

This was about 30 min. before the bubble in a $20+2. The table was extremely tight, so I my opening range was quite large at this point.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400, ante is t25 (9 handed)FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG+1 (t2323)
Hero (t8210)
MP2 (t21505)
MP3 (t11711)
CO (t9890)
Button (t12055)
SB (t7447)
BB (t8387)
UTG (t18623)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1000</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB calls t800, BB calls t600.

Flop: (t2600) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t2400</font>, SB folds, BB calls t2400.

Turn: (t7400) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t4962 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t4785 (All-In).

First of all, what range of hands would you put BB in?

Secondly, does the hand look OK to you?
Old 11-09-2005, 09:15 PM

Default Re: It started out as a steal...

I steal a lot in marginal positions with marginal hands, so I think PF is fine.

I don't think I would bet the flop here. I c-bet almost all flops, but sometimes I choose not to, and this would be one of those times. I just think you're getting called or raised here more than you would like. If you bet 2400, and are raised all in by either player, you almost have to fold, but in reality, you have an okay draw.

I would check the flop. After you bet 2400 and the BB calls, and he pushes a 7 turn, your call is obvious. If he has a flush he has a flush. But I'd be pretty surprised if you were behind if I was playing the hand and made this call.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:18 PM

Reads?

I think you should have raised more preflop. I understand that the table was tight, but making a less than 3X BB raise (especially with a ante) is just askin for trouble and giving the BB great odds to outdraw you.

On the flop, I like your flop bet. However, the combination of the flat call and all-in push on the turn seems like he has a rather big hand.

He doesnt have to have the flush, though. He could have spiked two pair on the turn, (or made it on the flop) he could have slowplayed a set on the flop, he could also have a 4. He could have a lot of different hands.

Although your entire stack is on the line, folding for under 5,000 with a pot of now over 12,000 is a bad move, especially when you are ahead of his hand range.

You also have one out to a made flush. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2005, 09:37 PM

yeah, you had the right idea with the steal attempt but after the flop should have just released the hand. The range of your opponent is less important considering that you got caught. If the table is tight and you got called witha 3X R PF then he probably has a good hand. the board may or may not have helped him and his tightness indicated strength anywhere from 77 to 10 10...release the hand
Old 11-09-2005, 09:44 PM

Um, if the table is really tight, and he's putting his money all in with straight and flush potential, I don't think your hand is good.

But it's hard for me to fold, but I think I do.

BTW, I like the flop bet.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The range of your opponent is less important considering that you got caught.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, but this makes no sense. Depending on the range I put him in, the turn call can be very, very easy to make.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:50 PM

Your raise amount may or may not be a tipoff and I'd make it the typical Stars 1200 PF if I was gonna play.

The flop is interesting...I'd alternate between checking and pushing this, because I'm calling a CR and the bubble makes these guys fold a *lot* of stuff to a push. I'm not gonna elaborate too much on it but you can read my tourney summaries to get an idea of how I play there - I like making them understand they are facing a decision for their entire stack, when in a $20, even a big bet may not make it that obvious.

The turn's an autocall.