Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 01:09 PM

Default Re-stealing

This has been the one area in my game that hasn't developed as well as the others, so I'm putting it up here and hope to hear some strategies and thought processes:

Assuming 20-30BB stacks:
1)Do you base it on the raiser? Position? Chips Count?

2) Do your cards even matter? i.e. do you consider putting him on a range and determine that you're at worst a coinflip against it, or do you simply realize that there's a high chance he's on a steal and do it with any two? (more'n'likely it's going to be a comibnation of the above)

3) This actually goes back to stack sizes. At 20-30 and above, if you re-raise, how much (assuming the OR has roughly even number of chips)? What if your opponent is a short stack? Big stack?

I'm sure there's many more situations but I think this is enough if anyone's interested in discussing.

Kirk

(also posted in MTT)
Old 11-09-2005, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Re-stealing

If you mean steal with bad hand then its not g00t to do this in the cheap game because bad guy will call you with A4 and think he has best hand. It best to wait for better hand to do this. At higher levels I do not know and you have to ask people who do know because I am not there yet but I hope to be there after the new year. I have fingers crossed and you should wish me luck.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:25 PM

It seems to me that correct restealing is one of the main dividers between the merely very good and the truly excellent.

I remember reading a post by Strassa where he basically said your cards are the least important part of a resteal. He said that only restealing when you have suited connectors for example is not good because then you will look for any excuse to resteal with these hands. Instead, stack sizes and the particular opponent you are restealing against are the main factors.

I don't know, it's all a bit much for me at this stage of my poker career [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2005, 01:26 PM

Good luck.

Kirk
Old 11-09-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Assuming 20-30BB stacks

[/ QUOTE ]

This just doesn't come up that often in SNGs, and when it does come up, it's very early, and it's often not worth restealing, since people are often just raising for value at these early, low blind levels.

Finding opponents to resteal against who will fold their 10-15 BB stacks when you are similarly stacked is more useful in SNGs, though I can't say I use it all that much. It is a read-dependent move, and it requires a pretty strong read at that.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good luck.

Kirk

[/ QUOTE ]

Baie Dankie!
Old 11-09-2005, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is a read-dependent move, and it requires a pretty strong read at that.

[/ QUOTE ]

STT's are all about reads, so anyting you do should be based on your read of that particular opponent. Perhaps I was being overoptimistic in my stack size assertion... you're right, 15-20BB stacks are far more common.