Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 10-15-2005, 08:15 PM

Default PS $55 Flop Trips

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) converter

MP2 (t1500)
MP3 (t1490)
CO (t1170)
Button (t1860)
SB (t1510)
Hero (t1500)
UTG (t1470)
UTG+1 (t1500)
MP1 (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls t20, UTG+1 calls t20, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls t20, Button calls t20, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t120) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero...?

Would you bet right out here or check and hope to check-raise?
Old 10-15-2005, 08:25 PM

Default Re: PS $55 Flop Trips

Against an EP limp/raiser, I'd be more inclined to look for a c/r. Here with the late limp openings, I'd prefer to lead on this flop. In my experience, you're less likely to get a decent flop lead from a "well, no one else is in, I'll see a flop" LP hand.

With that said though, I prefer to lead small here. Though you're giving the odds for the flush-draw, a t60 here might setup a raise from a LP "Q" holder. The modest lead will chase out the complete whiffs, but might draw in PP holders, or even a weak player's rag Ace. If your lead is viewed as buying a card for your own FD, you might find all the action you're desiring here on the flop.

With a caller or two, I'm dropping the hammer pretty hard on a non-heart turn.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Against an EP limp/raiser, I'd be more inclined to look for a c/r. Here with the late limp openings, I'd prefer to lead on this flop. In my experience, you're less likely to get a decent flop lead from a "well, no one else is in, I'll see a flop" LP hand.

With that said though, I prefer to lead small here. Though you're giving the odds for the flush-draw, a t60 here might setup a raise from a LP "Q" holder. The modest lead will chase out the complete whiffs, but might draw in PP holders, or even a weak player's rag Ace. If your lead is viewed as buying a card for your own FD, you might find all the action you're desiring here on the flop.

With a caller or two, I'm dropping the hammer pretty hard on a non-heart turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great response, thanks. I actually checked and it got checked around. Here is the rest of the hand:

Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Flop: (t120) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Turn: (t120) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t80</font>, UTG calls t80, UTG+1 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds.

River: (t280) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Do you check the river and try to induce a bluff if villian was on a flush draw, or do you prefer to value bet the river?
Old 10-15-2005, 09:52 PM

Given how the hand played out I bet the river. I don't think action has really been beneficial to inducing a bet. Pot isn't that big.. and I feel he'd check behind more often than not. That said I like a lead of about 100.