Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 10-14-2005, 07:01 PM

Default Always getting raised on the turn, and sometimes the river.

This post should probably go in the Poker Theory forum, but I'm sure it will be better answered here, so forgive me.

I've been playing 5/10 full a lot lately. The only real change I've noticed is little less loose preflop, and people raising me on the turn (and sometimes river) regularly.

Before this was usually a clear sign I was beaten if the opponent wasn't a maniac. However, I've been noticing that I've been winning A LOT more showdowns after gettin raised than before. I was expecting the opposite to be true..

I've tried to think as to why this may be. The only conclusion I can come too is that I probably look fairly crazy from the other players point of view. I am betting and raising most of hands on most of the streets (Almost always correctly slow, though I feel I may be making too many continuation bets on the flop in multihanded pots). Though I'm sure I don't look LAG, my VPIP is only in the 19-22% range.

Looking over my hands one thing I've noticed as well is that I almost never 3bet the turn or river unless I'm holding a set or better (or top 2). Should I be? I notice that in higher games this goes on a lot more. I have to say I really have no idea how to operate here. Unless a draw comes in it's really hard to narrow down the raisers hand enough for me to think re-raising is the correctly play.

I know these questions might be a little too general, but that is my intention. I feel I don't have enough geneal strategy for this area to be making the correct plays.

Anyone have replies to the general questions asked here?
Old 10-14-2005, 07:06 PM

Default Re: Always getting raised on the turn, and sometimes the river.

[ QUOTE ]
Looking over my hands one thing I've noticed as well is that I almost never 3bet the turn or river unless I'm holding a set or better (or top 2). Should I be?

[/ QUOTE ]

There may be some situations, but I'm not good enough to find them or confident enough in my online reads to go for it with say, TPTK. Generally there's little reason to 3 bet those streets with less than 2 pair. If I was defending blinds with low cards and put a guy on overcards and he was really aggressive, I might 3-bet my middle 2 pair when a K or A turn, but that's about it.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:11 PM

LOL!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

MYSTERY RAISES!
Old 10-14-2005, 09:34 PM

C'mon guys. I think this is a pretty good question that isn't covered much anywhere. I would like more replies that you think about more than 30 secs.

Please.