Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 02:34 AM

Default Maximizing fold equity with a short-stack when you can\'t stop and go

Say you have 5500 left with blinds at 300/600. Folded to the cutoff who makes it 1800. You're have a hand that is ahead of his range of hands but him fodling is a great result. (eg. AT/AJ and you want him to fold hands like 88-22, maybe AJ, and any live cards like Q9, T9, etc.) If you push, he'll be getting 8200/3700 or ~2.2-1 so he'll almost certainly call with most/all of those hands. Is there any merit to min-reraising and pushing any flop? Has anyone ever tried to do this? I haven't but it seems to me I would be far more likely to fold a hand like AJ to the 2nd line (assuming I miss the flop). That brings up the other question of who might this be effective against. Probably some kind of semi-thinking, tight-passive player.

If you don't like my example (he may never fold whatever you do) is there a better spot where this may be useful? It's quite possible this idea is completely worthless and I certainly have no evidence to back it up. Thoughts?

Steve
Old 10-12-2005, 02:41 AM

Default Re: Maximizing fold equity with a short-stack when you can\'t stop and

with that short of a stack i wouldnt really be wanting him to fold a hand i'm in a coinlfip with... well i guess it would be better.. but i'm certainly not upset when i get into one.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
with that short of a stack i wouldnt really be wanting him to fold a hand i'm in a coinlfip with... well i guess it would be better.. but i'm certainly not upset when i get into one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that getting into a coinflip is a good result at this stage but having him fold has got to be better (especially if he calls the min-reraise and folds the flop, you nearly double up). I guess my question for you then is that if you were the cutoff in this situation, is there any hand you would fold to either line? I would basically always call the preflop push but may fold some hands to the flop push when I miss the flop. CO's getting ~4-1 on the flop push so in most circumstances he should call.

Steve
Old 10-12-2005, 04:26 AM

Are you saying you're on the button, since you can't stop-and-go? You don't mention that.
Also, if you min-raise and then push, he's getting 9400:2500 or better than 3.5:1 so there's no WAY he's folding any reasonable holding.
Um, I just go ahead and push. Yeah it's not as likely to fold him out as you want it to be, but when there are no great options, you pick the good one.