Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Time Travel

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
You could watch the movie Primer which is cool and original in some ways and completely unprofessional and unnecessarily vague in other ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seen it once, &amp; started a thread on SMP about it. I found it very confusing. (it seems even smart people need a second viewing to understand this one properly)

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />

Try reading about tachyon particles (not fiction) which travel faster than light and thus (apparently) backward in time.

There was a cool episode of Ray Bradbury theater about time travel. Guy has a journalist present where he said he briefly went before in his time machine travling 100 years into the future.

The movie The Final Countdown is kind of fun if you haven't seen it.

Time Bandits is a classic, but I found it hit the educational angle a little too hard, not very subtle.

You might try IMDB for the subject time travel. They have thematic organizations for their movies.

There are a few Twilight Zone episodes that deal with time travel.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will look into these, as I will to others suggestions which are appreciated.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:28 PM

There is a Heinlein short story that is a classic of the sub-genre. The title is something like "All You Zombies".
Old 10-11-2005, 07:45 PM

Kip Thorne's "Black Holes and Time Warps" has a nice chapter at the end on time travel through worms holes, its not gunna happen but cool stuff theoretically speaking.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:00 PM

Kaku's Hyperspace (although recent it is already a bit dated)
Old 10-11-2005, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lately I've been reading a few Science Fiction short stories; specifically Asimov's "The ugly little boy" &amp; Alfred Bester's "The men who killed Mohammed".

Both were very good, and both reminded me of why I was a fan of The Outer Limits a long time ago, though since have not viewed any. (Bester's work I loved more - for the record)

Both of these short stories deal with time travel, a subject I'm interested in and would like to learn more about. I specifically like Chaos Theory, like Ray Bradbury's short story "A Sound of Thunder" dealt with, which inspired the film "The Butterfly Effect". (Bester's "The men who killed Mohammed" also talks about chaos theory a little)

Although it's not a work of fiction, I'm thinking about trying Paul Davies book "About time", has anybody read this book, and would they recommend it?

Any other suggestions or discussion is appreciated.

Cheers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I forgot the name of the article, but a philosopher named David Lewis gave a great account of time travel that I think makes the most sense of any explanation of what it would involve. Google it.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:25 AM

One of the best time travel stories was by the short, short master, Fred Brown. Read it if you can find it. I think it's one page long.