Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 04:17 PM

Default A hand from dmk\'s Saturday win

I hope he doesn't mind me posting this, but I assume since he posted the history he doesn't mind discussion of some of the hands.

I haven't been watching all of the hands super close, but from what I've seen, all of the important players in this hand have played pretty reasonably. He hasn't been at the table too long.

Stacks:
dmk (UTG+1) $14877
UTG+2 $11838
MP2 $20787

All of these are WELL above average. I don't know exactly what average is, but it's 150/300 in the Party Saturday Special, so I would guess average is somewhere from 4k-6k.

Blinds 150/300

dmk raises to 800 with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG+2 calls
MP2 reraises to 2800.

What's the plan? I would really like to hear dmk's reasoning behind his play but other comments are obviously appreciated as well.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 09-29-2005, 04:23 PM

Default Re: A hand from dmk\'s Saturday win

I'd call. You don't know if you're ahead or behind, but the pot's offering you 2.4:1 odds.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:31 PM

Assuming my read on the reraiser was basic TAG, my first instinct would be too push but that may be too aggressive with these stacks. I certaintly can't see folding, so seeing a flop and getting all my money in on an A/K/four flush flop seems good.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:08 PM

background:

i had only been at the table for probably 2 orbits, maybe 3. MP2 had just won a fairly large pot a few hands earlier w/ a semi-passively played trips. he seemed reasonable and hadn't seen him out-of-line at all.

i folded, for a few reasons:

a) we were the 3 largest stacks at the table. the next largest was 9k, followed by 6 ppl w/ 5k or less
b) i was OOP against the only player at the table that could bust me. while this could be a squeeze, at that point i didn't have much info to go off of, so i gave him the benefit of the doubt and credited him w/ a real hand, which i figured to be JJ-AA/AK. any re-raise other than all-in is very awkward, and i didn't want to play a flop OOP vs 2 villians (as i'm sure UTG+2 calls if i do, or maybe he pushes, who knows)
c) i'm still at 14k w/ 46BBs, probably top 10-20 in the tournament at that point.

too weak? possibly. i'd like to hear others opinions on it.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:27 PM

I'd call and hope to see a favorable flop. Folding AKs there is a pretty weak play and even if you miss the flop you can still fold and have plenty of chips left.

Another reason I'd call is that I don't necessarily put the raisers range so high. I can see myself making the raise he made with pairs 77-AA or AK/AQ with his stack/position.