Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 09-27-2005, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Matching Books To Style

mr mon, yes if you move up high enough in hold em you will need to become a tight aggressive player. where that line occurs with all of today's loose games is debatable, but will will happen or your results will suffer. i might even suggest if you became slightly tigher now, you might see your expectation increase.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:05 PM

Doyle Brunson tells you to play his loose-aggressive "power poker" style. Harrington, though he respects all styles, recommends a tight style. Perhaps, Sklansky's upcoming no limit holdem theory book will advocate principles and theories but not necessarily styles.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:47 PM

well. amulet's thoughts on it were obviously correct.

the OP clearly isn't afraid to get into pots.

FWIW - 27% isn't THAT high for the 6-max tables really. Lots of 6-max players at the 5/10 and 10/20 limits are winners playing this many hands.

And if he is aggressively and creatively attacking and defending blinds then he is really doing something right.

but when he says 'think Gus Hansen on a good day' then I suspect he is simply getting out-of-hand just for the sake of getting out of hand and that there isn't AS much purpose behind some of the plays he's making some of the time.
If he's getting crazy with blind-stealing or defense with 74o mostly for the 'advertising' value then I believe most HUSH experts would believe this to be a mistake because the image gained might be meaningless anyway (with players shifting in and out so much from the tables PLUS the possibility that they won't even see it anyway).

But...with the right reads...if you are playing against plinds who WILL give it up to so many raises then taking a shot at them with any-two cards could be correct I suppose.

Also - the variance in the 6-max game especially can be huge.
300BB down-swings when things go sour are becoming more and ore the norm for some of the very good players who post in the HUSH forum.
If the OP has only played 20k hands or less then I would suggest that he doesn't realize how long the long-run can really be and that could perhaps be tainting his view of how successful some of his strategies are.

With aggressive blind-attacking and blind-defense in 6-max games you can feel like the king of the world for 10k or more hands...winning even 6BB/100 or so while just making play after play after play and ALL of them coming through for you.
But the aggressiveness will also lead to some huge downswings when things don't fall right for you.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:55 PM

in nl section of ss you are right. but db now says he can't play like that after writing the book. and not all of the other sections advocate loose aggressive play. plus ss is not a very good poker book.

harrington, may play conservatively, however, i would not say the book teaches a conservative style (and vol II certainly doesn't).