Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Taking a Shot

buy in for $2000. if the game is good, you can add more later if needed. if it's bad, get out asap.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:20 PM

Rack of green is plenty for a decent shot. Good luck.

Jeff
Old 09-21-2005, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How many bets should I quit at? As it stands right now I could lose 40 big bets and still be at a 300 30/60 BB roll. Do I have the funds to take this shot, or should I stick with what I know?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a rack ($2,500) should be your limit.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:10 PM

You guys have been great. Thanks for the input. I'm gonna make it a day of decision, mostly based on game conditions. I'll post how it works out, if anybody wants to know.

lf
Old 09-21-2005, 10:48 PM

I think I learned more about hold 'em from playing with you, than from anyone I've ever played it with. I'm sure you'll do just great at the 50/100, if it is the game I'm thinking of.

Good luck.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:40 AM

50/100 at the muck?

[rambling from a guy who took a shot a failed]

I've felt that there are more gamblers in the biggest game at the house, than in the mid-limits, where i see more average play than anything. But to get the gamblers money you're competing against even better players, who tend to be more agressive.
At first glance the games looks better, because the pots are a little bigger, but I'm not sure my winrate would actually be better in the game that "looks" better because of the gamblers. I think the good players are taking their share more efficiently than the mid-stakes players.

I admit it strikes a bit of fear in me to think my winrate may gradually decrease as a I move up, while my variance will gradually increase due to the more agressive games.

[rambling off]

anyway have a great trip whatever you do!
Old 09-22-2005, 06:27 AM

if you look back into the OLD archive pre2000. you will find a High Limit player who said you should never take shots and that high limit players were all conspiring to get mid players to take shots so they could feed on them.

He was VERY cynical, and his posts were so cynical they were slightly humerous. You guys would all eat him alive now. Course I have a feeling he was older than moses and probably isn't living anymore.

I keep taking shots at 15/30, everytime I do I get RUN OVER. However, I suck at poker, so thats to be expected.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:58 AM

It'll be good for you. You'll get that old adrenaline rush, and it'll renew your drive to progress your game.