Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 06:40 PM

Default Go broke with QQ overpair?

Just sat at the table, no reads. Villaina and I both have $50 - 1 buyin.

Party Poker (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds, villain calls, 4 folds, SB completes, hero raises to $2.50, villain calls, SB folds. </font>.

Flop: ($5.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets $5, villain minraises to $10, Hero hesitates, and calls.

Turn: ($25.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets $20, villain goes all in, hero calls $15.

I really don't like getting it all in with QQ here. How else do you play this? Folding to the minraise is way too weak. If I check the turn, he may sense weakness and bet and then I don't know what to do. But since I'm committing myself by bettng the $20 anyway, maybe a check call is the right play on the turn. At least then I get money from some worse hands that he may hold. Can anyone give me a better line?
Old 09-09-2005, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Go broke with QQ overpair?

Your PF raise was to small, put at least 4 in here. Your in bad position so make them pay on the only street you have the position.

Check the turn, the min reraise should set off warning bells. once he came over the top on the turn you had to know you were behind but it cost to much to find that out.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your PF raise was to small, put at least 4 in here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-09-2005, 07:43 PM

I think I would call the minraise, and bet out on the turn like you did, but I'd bet an amount such that I could fold if I got raised again.

I think my bets would be somewhat smaller than yours, trying to keep the pot small so I could get out if necessary.

So maybe I'd bet 4 dollars on the flop, calling a minraise to 8. Then I'd bet 14 dollars into the 21 dollar pot on the turn. Then if he raises again, you can comfortably fold with half your stack left.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:25 PM

Hey GoCubs,

I'm glad you've switched over from the barren rocky wasteland that is Stars to the fish filled lakes of Party.

Preflop: OOP, you should raise more. Picking up a pot preflop when you're in the BB is not a terrible result for you... big pairs aren't all that profitable from the blind positions.

On the flop, I think you can frequently find a fold here to the minraise. It depends on Villain's stats and your read (and unfortunately you don't have any.)

I don't think you're deep enough to lead this turn and fold to a raise. I don't like calling the push after you lead the turn again - I know you're getting a good price, but you're not going to be good here. Ever.

If I were going to call the flop, my plan would be to check/call the turn and then check/call or block the river, depending on pot and stack sizes.

Good luck at Party. I hope things continue to go well for you.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:28 PM

what are ur reads on the villan, the way u play this hand after minraise on the flop really matters what information you have on the villan.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you've switched over from the barren rocky wasteland that is Stars to the fish filled lakes of Party.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'm getting used to it. My big hands are getting paid off way more often. Still get pissed every once in a while when I realize I've been sitting out at a table and missed 6 hands and I'm the BB again! [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

$4 seems like kind of a lot for a preflop raise for $50 NL. I'll give it a try though and see how it works out. Wouldn't have saved me any money in this scenario, as villain limp-called preflop with AA. Ugh.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:19 PM

I make it $3 PF, but I don't see much wrong w/ your raise.

Flop: OK

Turn: I lead for $15 and fold the raise.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I make it $3 PF, but I don't see much wrong w/ your raise.

Flop: OK

Turn: I lead for $15 and fold the raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this best of all suggestions.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:49 PM

I basically like the line Kongo's suggesting, but what's the plan for the river if he smooth calls?