Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 01:37 PM

Default back to school, how do you limit your poker hours

This summer after graduating college I moved to vegas to play poker professionally. I decieded that starting graduate school will be best for me in the long term. I was wondering what stratagies people use to limit their poker playing, since my last year in college did not go as well as I liked because of poker. I was thinking of alotting 10hrs a week to poker, or only allowing myself to play on saturdays. Ideas would be appreiciated.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Re: back to school, how do you limit your poker hours

Don't play when you have homework/studying to do. Before playing I always make myself do some schoolwork. During finals week and similar situations I actually uninstall my poker sites from my computer. I don't think there's any secret, you just need to be disciplined and have your priorities in place.

JKratzer
Old 08-31-2005, 01:50 PM

Figure out how many hours a week you want to play - then adjust the times so that you play more when you have less of a workload and less when you are in likely to be in a crunch. Then schedule it in, just like your classes.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think there's any secret, you just need to be disciplined and have your priorities in place.

[/ QUOTE ]
end of thread.

if poker is the priority (it may be your source of money)make sure you log your hours. poker and school isn't really difficult to juggle if thats all your juggling. try juggling school, sports, poker, drinking, and your gf. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-31-2005, 07:14 PM

You felt that it affected your school performance - so the only answer is to stop playing.

Ask yourself, why are you going to grad school? You said because it would be better in the long run. Well then, finish that priority off then figure out how poker fits in.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:29 PM

refuse to play anything but bonuses. there are enough of them to play, but not enough to keep you away from school work.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:32 PM

I think that due to your problems in school during your senior year there are two possibilities

A) Senior slump
B) Problems prioritizing

If you think that you can do grad school and poker I wouldnt discorage you because I am doing the same thing right now. But, your first year is going to be hell so obviouslly you need a plan.

I would play only at the best times, Ie. weekend nights. Limit yourself to a range of hours like 10-15. Schedule in specific times to work on school work. Do not deviate regardless of how busy or not you are. It will only lead to sluffing off with your school work to play more.

Good luck with grad school. I dont know what you are studying but it will be hard regardless.

Greg