Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 08-28-2005, 11:38 PM

Default I have no idea how to play heads-up...

So we're down to the final two with pretty even stacks, I have 700k, villain has a little under 800k. Villain was super tight most of the final table but has been opening it up of late. 5 handed he was still the tightest, made a couple resteals and got to be chip leader. Then he got aggressive. 4 and 3 handed he was pretty aggressive and hasn't had to show any hands (KT when he called the short stack's all-in and knocked him out). We've been heads up about 12 hands. Blinds are 15k/30k (so we both have over 20bb). He's raised to 90k from the button everytime (~5-6 times). The first one I took a flop with JTs, missed completely and check-folded. The rest of them, I've had trash and just folded to the raise. I've been mixing it up from the button, limping or raising every hand. He's called 2 of my raises and folded to the continuation bets. I've been playing pretty tight the whole final table, haven't really shown any hands and also have only reraised a player once (I had KK but didn't show). So now to the hand:

He's on the button and raises to 90k (as he has everytime). I have A5o. What's the plan? (Again, I have 700k, he has just under 800k). After all that buildup, my question seems a little anti-climactic, but oh well..

Also, what kinds of hands should I be calling/reraising with when he seems to be raising 3x everytime he's on the button? I feel fairly comfortable with position but lost when my big blind is being attacked.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 08-29-2005, 12:03 AM

Default Re: I have no idea how to play heads-up...

I'm going to strongly recommend a reraise in this situation. You need to see what he does. By not raising you don't gain information about your opponent, which is CRUCIAL in heads-up play.

In general, heads-up is much more a feeling type of game. Get practice. Try playing the pokerstars heads-up games. Be warned, though, that the players are extremely strong there.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:17 AM

It's an art, not a science. Anakin's mom would ask "What does your heart tell you?"

If he's raised it every time, pop it up w/ a5o for sure.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:17 AM

push, any raise commits you
Old 08-29-2005, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
push, any raise commits you

[/ QUOTE ]

But sometimes just a raise makes things interesting. But yes, if you are not good at HU play, throwing in lots of pushes is your best move.