Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 08-24-2005, 10:03 AM

Default Re: Poker in New Orleans

A few random thoughts:

The "regulars" at Harrah's are usually just as bad as the tourists. Just because you see them on more than one day, do not assume any kind of poker-playing ability on their part. These are gambling folk- 94 sooted looks just as good to them as it does to your average just-stumbled-in-from-Bourbon donk.

While I haven't actually gotten around to playing the 2/5 NL game yet, I've been told it's no less of a donkathon than the other games. I don't much care for the blind structure relative to the buy-in, but I still can't wait to go play that game. The big NL game is now 5/10 blinds, used to be 5/5.

Aces cracked wins a rack day is Tuesday. Mondays during football season they run a free contest during MNF, you get assigned a number that relates to the scoring somehow (I forget exactly). Football+beer+poker+free EV=good times.

Naomi (one of the waitresses) is a frigging goddess.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:47 AM

Good point about the regulars, but the downside is that they're not so dim that they won't come to recognize that you are a good/serious player, whereas the off-the-street drunks don't know who you are.

FWIW: Spent 7 hours down there yesterday for Aces Cracked Tuesday. Never saw them once (nor KK or QQ for that matter).
Old 08-24-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good point about the regulars, but the downside is that they're not so dim that they won't come to recognize that you are a good/serious player, whereas the off-the-street drunks don't know who you are.

[/ QUOTE ]

While that's true, the next step in their thought process is usually "Lemme see if I can flop two pair with this 83 of clubs and crack this good/serious player's KK. What? Someone capped it? Call."
Old 08-24-2005, 12:54 PM

The way I've seen it would be Aces-cracked ON THE RIVER wins a rack of $1.
So if the AA was ahead on the turn...and THEN the river-card fills some straight draw for the other guy....THEN you win $100.

Not sure if they make this distinction at Harrah's or not.
Just relating my experience with it.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A few random thoughts:

The "regulars" at Harrah's are usually just as bad as the tourists. Just because you see them on more than one day, do not assume any kind of poker-playing ability on their part. These are gambling folk- 94 sooted looks just as good to them as it does to your average just-stumbled-in-from-Bourbon donk.

While I haven't actually gotten around to playing the 2/5 NL game yet, I've been told it's no less of a donkathon than the other games. I don't much care for the blind structure relative to the buy-in, but I still can't wait to go play that game. The big NL game is now 5/10 blinds, used to be 5/5.

Aces cracked wins a rack day is Tuesday. Mondays during football season they run a free contest during MNF, you get assigned a number that relates to the scoring somehow (I forget exactly). Football+beer+poker+free EV=good times.

Naomi (one of the waitresses) is a frigging goddess.

[/ QUOTE ]
These are good points (especially about Naomi - add Giselle to the list as well). However, there are a few regulars, mostly the younger guys, who you will have to adjust to. The older guys are mostly pretty passive, but the younger guys are a lot more aggressive and a few of them are actually pretty good players. You'll be able to spot them pretty quickly.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:18 PM

One warning: contrary to what a drunk friend of mine hoped, informing Naomi that her name backwards is "I moan" will not get her in bed with you. Go figure.