Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 08-18-2005, 09:11 PM

Default So very confused...AKo early in Super Thursday

2nd hand, so everyone has ~1000. I'm in the big blind with AKo. 4 limpers, CO min raises.

First decision, how much to raise?

I raise to 150. Fourth limper calls. Min-raiser min-raises again to 270.

Second decision. What now??? Push? Call?

I call, other guy calls. Flop's QJ3, two-tone I have no backdoor flush draw.

I check planning to fold?

Steve
Old 08-18-2005, 10:18 PM

Default Re: So very confused...AKo early in Super Thursday

I think you are in a table full of donks but the miniraise is probably some donk just trying to be dumb. AA-JJ pushes here(even a donk) so I think you are still ahead. Call. Once that flop hits with 5 other people in it check/fold is the best course of action. At least one of the limpers will have top pair,two pair or straight draws.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:44 PM

I just push to the minireraise. Bet that he doesn't have a big pair. I don't like flat calling for 30% of my stack with AK. If you really think he has a big pair, fold. If he has a big pair, it probably won't help you if an ace or king hits.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:48 PM

Thanks for the reply. Only one other player called the reraise preflop (so there were 3 of us to the flop). Sorry for the confusion. I don't know if that changes anything, but just thought I'd clarify.

Steve
Old 08-18-2005, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just push to the minireraise. Bet that he doesn't have a big pair. I don't like flat calling for 30% of my stack with AK. If you really think he has a big pair, fold. If he has a big pair, it probably won't help you if an ace or king hits.

[/ QUOTE ]

After check-folding the flop, I thought about it and decided I liked pushing over the reraise WAY more than calling. I can't see folding getting 5:1. The min-raise after 4 limpers certainly doesn't seem like a big pair and maybe I can get a small one to fold if I push. Even if I can't, there's a fair bit of dead money in there.

Steve
Old 08-18-2005, 11:07 PM

I hate these hands. I might smooth call the first min-raise this early and proceed VERY carefully. If you ask me, there's not enough chips in this pot for me to want to raise 15% of my stack with a drawing AK. But I play super tight early on. Second option, reraise his min-raise to about 100 instead of 150. Keep the pot smallish early on. Beat these donks post-flop, not pre-flop.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate these hands. I might smooth call the first min-raise this early and proceed VERY carefully. If you ask me, there's not enough chips in this pot for me to want to raise 15% of my stack with a drawing AK. But I play super tight early on. Second option, reraise his min-raise to about 100 instead of 150. Keep the pot smallish early on. Beat these donks post-flop, not pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I raised to 150 because I really wanted to discourage callers. I don't want to have to play a fairly big pot with AK, especially if/when the flop misses me. I probably need to work on my post flop play though...

Steve