Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 09:48 PM

Default Overpair on a scary board with pretty deep stacks - Pacific 200k

Reasonably early in the tournament, UTG+1 (villain) won a pretty big pot with AJ vs. AK on an AJx flop (no pre flop raises). I've only shown down one hand (top set) where I slowed down on the river when the flush draw came. Villain has ~3300 chips, I have just over 3000, 25/50 blinds.

Villain limps, I raise to 225 with KK on the button. Folded to villain who calls.

Flop is 9c8c6c, I don't have the king of clubs. Villain bets 400 at the 525 pot.

What's my line?

Steve
Old 08-08-2005, 10:10 PM

Default Re: Overpair on a scary board with pretty deep stacks - Pacific 200k

I call to see if a club or A comes off on the turn and if not, figure it out from there. If a safe card comes on the turn, I'm pushing if he bets again.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:13 PM

This was my first inclination but it seems like there aren't a whole lot of safe cards. Any T, 7, 5, club or ace is pretty much terrifying. Are you still pushing if any of those come and he bets again? I guess I'm just wondering what cards are "safe".

While I thought about this, Pacific reminded me that you get all of 20 seconds to act. So, with a couple seconds before I folded, I pushed. Good, bad, ok?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 08-08-2005, 10:49 PM

Nobody else?
Old 08-08-2005, 10:56 PM

I don't mind a fold here. No one knows youve folded KK. It's a tough spot because you can be way ahead (A9o) or way behind (set) or more of a coinflip (pair w/ Ac). I think either have to A) grit your teeth and call (and hope for a blank) or fold and kick the cat.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:07 PM

Hey, I was the villian in that hand. I'll spare any further hand details so others can give their thoughts.

I guess there's no real reason for this post but just to let ya know I'm reading it too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2005, 11:14 PM

Nice hand then. Good luck the rest of the way.

Steve

P.S. I guess I just gave the results, so here's the official ones. I pushed, he insta-called and had 99 for top set. I don't think my push was very good (I pretty much only get called if I'm way way behind), calling and pushing a blank turn seems best.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:23 PM

I was waiting for that...just letting you know I busted in 475th. Lost about 1/4 of my stack when another flopped set of 9s lost to a flopped straight, then lost 2/3 of what I had left when my QQ lost to a preflop all in w/ TT. To seal the deal, I had about 6 BB left when my AT lost to 99 when the flop came T9x. Karma came around pretty quick tonight with the pocket 9s.

I'll be lookin out for ya next time, good to play at a decent table at Pacific for once.