Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 07-31-2005, 11:18 PM

Default Loosen up at rock SNG\'s?

Many of my $11's lately have had 8-9 players at the begginning of level 3, and often as many as 7 players in level 4. At that point, the pushbot strategy seems a bit less effective, since blinds are so high for everybody with such mediocre stacks that I have little fold equity to play aggressively.

Is there any benefit to trying to loosen up during the early levels when the tourneys seem granite-like?
Old 07-31-2005, 11:52 PM

Default Re: Loosen up at rock SNG\'s?

[ QUOTE ]
Many of my $11's lately have had 8-9 players at the begginning of level 3, and often as many as 7 players in level 4. At that point, the pushbot strategy seems a bit less effective, since blinds are so high for everybody with such mediocre stacks that I have little fold equity to play aggressively.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you say you have little fold equity.

If we imagine like 5 stack at 650 and 2 big at 2800 for exemple why wouldn't you have some fold equity with more 6XBB ?
Less 4XBB it begin to be weak and less than 3XBB is nothing.

But it's not the case here.

Obviously if you are UTG you need a really strong hand if there is 6 players to play behind. But at the SB I don't understand why an all-in would be called by something else than a strong hand.

May be I am out, I smoked a little.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:54 AM

Default Re: Loosen up at rock SNG\'s?

Seems decent to me, why not try being a little more aggressive on the button and SB, don't go crazy UTG and get yourself knocked out of the tourny, but a push for some blinds might give you a more secure chip count