Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 08:08 PM

Default Re: Making my set on the turn

You know when I'm looking back over this hand it occurs to me that I'm looking at it all wrong. I mean what does this guy think I have? This is the point I need to put him on a hand and get as much money as I can. I think there's very little chance he has A3 and even less he has 63 because he's a very tight player. A set makes sense or perhaps a draw that improved (like 7c 6c). I mean he has to have a little something, something because he called $20 cold with two players behind him. I think the safefest play is to 3 bet the turn in such a manner that makes it wrong for most draws. If he's got a set, the money goes in. If he's drawing, then I can make a decision on the river.

The thing is I believe the guy had me squarely on hand. He had me on a middle pair. I didn't raise preflop but I did call UTG. I led at it when rags came down. And when the Jack hit the turn I dutifully fired again. At this point he tried to take it away. When I checked the river, he thought he was right and fired off $150. I meekly called with my set and won a nice pot. He tabled 6d7d for a nice steal attempt with outs.

Does anyone think they could figure all that out in the heat of the moment? I mean if I push the turn hard he may or may not call depending on the amount I shove in the middle. When the river whiffs for him, he's done. But if I figure that he's got me on a certain hand (in this case a middle pair) and let him hang himself a bit when he tries to bluff that seems like the best way to play it (for someone who's really REALLY good which is not me).

I don't think I could have won a penny more, but I definitely was in danger of getting stacked. I think I played it poorly and bumbled into a nice win.

Does any of that makes sense?
Old 05-23-2005, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Put as much money into this pot as you can. Reraise turn. Bet river.

[/ QUOTE ]its really this simple. PF raise is also good.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
its really this simple. PF raise is also good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another thing I thought about later was, 'If I was still playing 100 max would I have been afraid of putting all my money in on the river?' And the answer was an instant and emphatic, 'No'. But that has as much to do with the limits as with the level of play. I mean I expect donkeys at those levels.

But let me ask one more time...do any of you guys EVER EVER limp with JJ UTG? Seriously, fellas... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If I raise, I probably make it much easier, but I didn't. If I didn't walk into the dark urban alley all alone late one night I wouldn't be standing there with a guy pointing a big gun at me. But I did. So what's my best move?
Old 05-23-2005, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But let me ask one more time...do any of you guys EVER EVER limp with JJ UTG? Seriously, fellas... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure.

I limp every hand UTG though.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sure.

I limp every hand UTG though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, that's what I'm talking about.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:16 PM

I play in a style sometimes where I never raise in EP in a full game - I don't think you give up too much by doing this sometimes and you play well postflop.

I see nothing wrong with limping JJ UTG if that's your style.