Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 02:17 AM

Default How to Properly Slowplay (Low Content)

Here's a quick warning why you should NEVER give someone infinite odds.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

River: (14.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 22.25 BB
Old 05-11-2005, 02:27 AM

Default Re: How to Properly Slowplay (Low Content)

Sweet.

That is all.

EDIT: Quads suck
Old 05-11-2005, 02:30 AM

wtf are infinite odds
Old 05-11-2005, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf are infinite odds

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had to guess, I'd say Villain had TT! He couldn't lose and therefore had infinite odds to win the hand. Bummer.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
wtf are infinite odds

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had to guess, I'd say Villain had TT! He couldn't lose and therefore had infinite odds to win the hand. Bummer.

[/ QUOTE ]
No. Villain has an overpair. (AA most likely.) Since Hero did not have to call any bets on the flop, his "odds" were 8.5:0. Hence the term "infinite odds".

At least, that's my understanding! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 05-11-2005, 02:45 AM

Villain had ATs. Infinite odds is allowing your opponent to draw for free. So instead of giving me 5-1 to draw to my set, I got infinite odds since I didn't have to pay.

A few orbits later the same thing happened, same villain raised PF, two kings came on the flop, flop is checked through, he had AK. I used to think fish becoming educated might be a problem, but that reminded me that it will never happen.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain had ATs. Infinite odds is allowing your opponent to draw for free. So instead of giving me 5-1 to draw to my set, I got infinite odds since I didn't have to pay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense. And I like that ending a lot better than losing to quad tens.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
wtf are infinite odds

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That interpretation wouldn't make any sense, since OP says "why you *shouldn't* give infinite odds.
Nice hand, neatly shows how dangerous it is giving free cards.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:52 AM

This is a bad slowplay but not because he lost the hand. That's just being results oriented.

Krishan
Old 05-11-2005, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to think fish becoming educated might be a problem, but that reminded me that it will never happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Learning" from the outcome of a specific hand is what gets poor players in trouble in the first place. Just because you end up losing the hand doesn't mean you played it wrong (just as winning it doesn't mean you played it right).

The real question here is, on this nearly drawless board, could he have gotten you (or perhaps someone pairs on the turn) to pay him off later? That you might hit your 2 outer is not the most important reason slowplaying this is wrong. It is because the pot is big and someone could easily pick up a straight or flush draw on the turn and have a profittable draw at that point which he doesn't have now (and because it is possible that there is already a straight draw out there who will call, or fold; either way is good).

Put another way, by giving you a free card, he has given you something worth a little less than 2/45 * (8.25 + 16) = 1.07SB and that is given that he paid you off BIG TIME. (It is less than because he might draw out on you.) If he had gotten a bet out of you on the turn (if you hadn't hit), that would have more than paid for that expected loss.